Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ice storms?  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
ice storms?
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:05:10 pm »
i see you guys have brought up the storm question here.  how about ice storms?  we get really bad ones about every 3 years.  we are due this year.  i know the ice wouldn't hurt the outside of the hive, but if it were to seal the hive for a period of time, say overnight, would the bees be ok.  how long does it take for a hive to suffocate?

any ideas about how you would keep some kind of air hole open?  we can get 2 or 3 inches of ice in a very short amount of time.  then snow usually falls on top of that...then more ice.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
ice storms?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:38:13 pm »
It's not safe to COMPLETELY seal a hive for any length greater than a minute or two.  They NEED air!  Given I don't get ice storms here...and I'm not entirely sure what one is, I'll leave that part to the northerners.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
ice storms?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 12:17:34 am »
An ice storm can plug the entrance which can cut off the air supply if you are not using either a SBB or a ventilated top.  The Ice storm will not plug up a SBB because the open area is below and protected from direct moisture by the hive.  And no the open floor that a SBB represents will not cause the bees to freeze the heat will stay in the hive with the excess venting out the bottom, therby keeping the bottom open.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
ice storms?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 11:28:23 am »
thanks.  forgot about the open bottom.  why did the SBB come with that slide in board if i'm never going to use it? :)

i am off to the bee store.  also going to by slatted rack if they have one.  we are headed for 100+ degrees this week.  i hope this will help with ventilation on the top and discourage robbing?  i have had some trouble with robbing but nothing big.  don't want to make it worse.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
ice storms?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 11:22:19 pm »
> i know the ice wouldn't hurt the outside of the hive, but if it were to seal the hive for a period of time, say overnight, would the bees be ok. how long does it take for a hive to suffocate?

I've seen bottom entrances blocked by snow and ice.  I've never had top entrances blocked.  You need a top entnrace, even if it's a small one.  I prefer it as the only entrance so I don't have to worry about the mice etc.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#topentrance
http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything