Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: beehives  (Read 3370 times)

Offline colbees

• House Bee
beehives
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:14:48 pm »
I am confused on where to put my hives should they be in part sun or should they be in full sun thanks
A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay; A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon; A swarm of bees in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
Re: beehives
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:20:43 pm »
Generally, Bees like to be in the Sun but out of the wind.  Beeks put bees everywhere though...

Please add your location to your profile.  It helps if we know in what climate you are keeping bees in.
Make Mead!

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:52:25 am »
You definately want a bright sunny morning location to get them up and going.  Heat tends to linger in the afternoon so sun is not as important then.  But as far north as you are, full sun would be good. 

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 01:03:14 am »
i keep all mine in full sun           
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:41:08 am »
In North Carolina we face our hives to the Southeast and place them so they get some afternoon shade.  That gets the bees up and moving early in the day and protects them from overheating in the Summer. 

But in Upstate New York, I would think you will want them in full sun with some kind of wind screen.   

Many folks will tell you that you need full sun to ward off Small Hive Beetles. But I think that has a lot to do with soil type.  Some of our hives are on red clay and I have not seen a single hive beetle on them.  Other hives (70 miles away) are on a chert soil and they have some beetles.  I think the more sand you have, the more important it is to have the hives in the sun.  But I admit that this is just a guess.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:08:40 am »
Research:
bees according to the studies of prof seeley prefer shaded colony sites.
Engineering:
 Wooden hives: Heat gain is considerable.  In winter this may reduce damp, but  in summer there may be dramatic over heating of the hive, as the wood will only give about 9F of protection from the outside wood temperature.
 Polyhives: the reduced heat gain makes this less of a problem.
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 12:50:17 pm »
Research must vary.  In Honey Bee Democracy, the author found that bees wanted a sunny entrance to a swarm trap.  A southern exposure.  I am not trying to sell the book I think it is overrated but the science is first rate. 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:15:51 pm »
Although the general rule of thumb is early morning sun and afternoon shade, as a fellow upstate NYer,  I would recommend a location that gives them the most winter time sun.

In my case here at my home, this meant a site that doesn't get early morning sun in the summer,  but gets about 4 more hours of sun in the winter than the summer early morning spot.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 11:48:22 am »
i look for as much sun as possible.
shade slows the warming!
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 11:23:34 pm »
early morning and early afternoon sun  shade for mid to late afternoon if possible. They get started earlier and in the afternoon you want shade that way you dont have foragers trying to cool the hive collecting water and fanning the hive to keep the brood cool. Chris

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 07:48:10 am »
Although the general rule of thumb is early morning sun and afternoon shade, as a fellow upstate NYer,  I would recommend a location that gives them the most winter time sun.

In my case here at my home, this meant a site that doesn't get early morning sun in the summer,  but gets about 4 more hours of sun in the winter than the summer early morning spot.

Being form New England  X:X   X:X   X:X

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 12:41:02 pm »
In my neck of the woods, full sun all day long. If to much heat is the problem get a screened inner cover to use in the summer.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:53:47 am »
I am confused on where to put my hives should they be in part sun or should they be in full sun thanks

Here in Florida, it's best for full sun. keeps the hive beetles under control. I see you are in new york so your conditions will vary compared to ours.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline SmokeEater2

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 01:07:18 pm »
I try to put mine in areas with the recommended morning sun/afternoon shade but I don't have enough of those areas to go around. That being said, 2 of my best hives are in an area that gets morning shade/afternoon sun.

As far as SHB control goes I haven't seen any difference in beetle levels no matter where the hives are. The only hive I ever completely lost to those wretched beetles was in full all day long Arkansas sun.  :-\

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 08:48:32 pm »
How about this . . . as what I look for in cold-ish southern WI (plant hardiness zone 5a), but can't say that I can find such settings all the time (especially since I also need to in a place I can get to easily with the truck) . . .

Full sun in the morning till early afternoon, then deciduous tree shade from afternoon on . . . that way in the winter I could possibly get some later afternoon sun when the leaves are down, but I get shade in the very hot summer days.

I love Tom Seeley's work, but I believe it relates more to what a swarm is looking for (nearly full shade with south entrance) rather than what we give them when we take them down from that swarm trap.  The tree they are seeking likely has different thermal characteristics than the box we give them and they are 10 feet or more up rather than very near the ground . . . so I guess what I am saying is that I think the environment we give them for hives might need to be different than what the bees have in evolution considered the ideal spot to swarm to.