Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yellow Jackets Entering the Hive  (Read 2603 times)

Offline winginit

• House Bee
Yellow Jackets Entering the Hive
« on: September 26, 2010, 01:21:09 pm »
I have yellow jackets snooping around my hives. Today I watched them going into the hive, slowly, sometimes being chased off but other times disappearing inside for a bit then coming out and leaving, like they are robbing. This is the strong hive. It was cool outside so not much activity. It was all very peaceful.

I peaked into the opening, and noticed that a hornet would just hang around on the landing, waiting for the guard bees inside the hive to leave an opening. No fights, just a guard that would occassionally make a move toward the hornet, and the hornet would back off...for a while. Then a hornet would go in, disappear from view, then come out and fly away, presumably full!

So I put a cleat on, with the large opening as the nectar flow is strong. Then I watched another two yellow jackets go into the hive. Is this normal?

Hornets are frustrated as I just adjusted the hummingbird feeder to keep them out.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Yellow Jackets Entering the Hive
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 02:36:19 pm »
You can close the entrance up where only 2 bees can pass at a time.  This will keep the robbers down. 

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:45:52 pm »
Patient predators, that's what they are.  I have noticed the same thing here.  My yellow jacket count has been climbing since the beginning of September, hornets, too.

Reduce the entrances like Winginit suggests and keep an eye on the little buggers.  The last thing you want is for them to start feeling privileged, bring their friends, and start attacking the live bees!

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 05:19:49 pm »
OK, both hives reduced, took one for the team in the process. Leaving town tomorrow, so better safe than sorry.

I still have empty supers on, hoping against hope...Low temp of 45 forecast in a few days. At what temp do I need to reduce hive size and prep for winter? 

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 06:49:48 pm »
I would not leave empty supers on the hive very long without a honey flow on.  It is too much space open inside the hive for beetles and moths to take over.  Bees can not defend it with their numbers down.

anything