Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anti virus not installing on vista  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Anti virus not installing on vista
« on: August 24, 2009, 01:21:10 pm »
My son just bought a laptop and I was trying to install CA antivirus on it. I get an error saying not able to install make sure you have admin rights. Only one account is set up andhe is listed as admin. I looked on the internet and cant really see any solution. Any ideas?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Anti virus not installing on vista
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 03:03:25 pm »
i am not familiar with that program, but lots of programs do not load on vista without an update.  a couple of things to try.  1st, go to the web site for that program and see if there is any vista support.  there may be an update, patch, or work-around.  2nd, if 1 does not help do not auto run the disk.  open it and see if you have an administrator option, or if you can install the program manually from the disk.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:41:31 pm »
Many times Norton is preinstalled by default. If you want to install another program you need to run the Norton removal tool.
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
The remove programs in windows will not extract enough of it.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 04:36:24 pm »
It came with Mcafee and I think I got it all. Ca does not have much on their site to deal with vista. I might just go buy xp and erase the hard drive.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 05:38:10 am »
AVGfree is a free antivirus antispyware program that has worked very well for me on XP and Vista both. Vista does not like most 3rd party anti virus programs, at least it didn't when it first came out. AVGfree can be gotten at any of your online software downloading places such as downloads.com.

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 07:08:33 am »
I get an error saying not able to install make sure you have admin rights. Only one account is set up andhe is listed as admin. I looked on the internet and cant really see any solution. Any ideas?

You should be able to right-click and chose "run as administrator"
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67567-administrator-account.html

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson