Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Installed my First Package of Bee's :D  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Billy The Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • My Strong Hive
Installed my First Package of Bee's :D
« on: April 17, 2007, 12:38:05 am »
Yea today i installed my first package of bee's it was so exciting i wish i could do it again like real soon but oh well i got to do it once. It was a great experience. :)

Im sending out a Special Thanks to my beekeeping buddy JimmyO for helping me install the package. Thanks buddy  you've helped me out so much since we met thanks for all your generousity thanks again buddy " Remember if you need help with anything call me" have a goodnight

Bye                     :-D                                        :mrgreen:                           
Experienced BeeKeeper :D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Installed my First Package of Bee's :D
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 12:51:54 am »
it's exciting, isn't it?  i do have one caution for those of you yet to install packages.

i chose to do mine without gloves and veil.  lazy, in a hurry, etc.  that would have been no problem except for two things.  i did not have my hair braided tightly enough and worse.....the cell phone rang in my pocket while i was in the middle of dumping a box of bees.  even at this point i would have been ok if i hadn't answered the phone.....you can probably see where this is going.....

between my ear and the phone a bee got trapped.  it stung the he** out of me.  as i took a swipe at it, i upset one tangled in my hair.  it nailed me in the scalp and got squished in my hair.

as i told my brother (after he caught his breath from laughing)  it's really hard to answer the phone with a hat and veil on. i was expecting a call..... of course if i ever thought to push the little speaker button, that problem would be solved.

anyway, this goes into the same file as putting the supers together with the handles inside.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 12:52:49 am »
BillytheBeekeeper.  Good for you!!!  I am glad that you found it exciting.  Wait until you get really into the stuff with your bees, you're gonna love the new life experiences that you will be sharing with us.  Have a wonderful, great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 03:18:07 am »
Hey Billy!  Congrats!!!

I just installed my first package today too!  I know exactly what you mean about wanting to do it again!  Was kind of like bungee jumping, scary as heck but a real kick in the pants!
Cant wait to hear more adventures from ya!

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

anything