Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Super excited! I got a new crown stapler  (Read 11495 times)

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Super excited! I got a new crown stapler
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:49:06 pm »
So I have to admit, sometimes I'm kind of old fashioned. I've never used an airgun to put frames together but after watching Rob's little demos on his Bushkill Farms site I decided that with several hundred frames that I need to build this winter, there is no other way to go. I got one that goes up to 1 1/2" so I guess I'll be using that to assemble the woodenware I build for personal use as well. It really is amazing how much time you can save.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Super excited! I got a new crown stapler
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:07:12 pm »
they are loads of fun, and good for working out aggressions.   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:19:16 pm »
So, lets hear about what brand name ya got? Any great deal that the rest of us need to know about?

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 09:52:08 pm »
I got a ridgid. No sale or anything so it was like $110 at home depot.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 10:12:25 pm »
2 years ago i put together 70-80 deep boxes with a drill and screw gun, and 7000-8000 frames with a hammer.

i'd never used an air tool until last year.  don fatbeeman let me use his to secure the nucs we were buying....i was very impressed.  when i got home and needed to put together a bunch of equipment, i went to sears.  there was a 3 gallon compressor on sale for $99, and a 3 piece tool kit (crown stapler, brad nailer, finish nailer) for $120.  i've been very happy with all of it.

deknow

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:04:50 am »
So I have to admit, sometimes I'm kind of old fashioned. I've never used an airgun to put frames together but after watching Rob's little demos on his Bushkill Farms site I decided that with several hundred frames that I need to build this winter, there is no other way to go. I got one that goes up to 1 1/2" so I guess I'll be using that to assemble the woodenware I build for personal use as well. It really is amazing how much time you can save.

Congrats, you are now a member of an elite group of beekeepers who are "Armed & Dangerous". Wear your safety glasses.  :-D

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:32:47 am »

Congrats, you are now a member of an elite group of beekeepers who are "Armed & Dangerous". Wear your safety glasses.  :-D
And keep your finger's out of the way it realy hurt's when you staple one.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 10:29:39 am »

irwin, that's why in production, the table saw is used before the crown stapler....you remove the fingers on the table saw _before_ you have a chance to staple them!

deknow

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 10:51:55 am »
I use 1 1/2 brads to tack boxes before squaring and nailing. It soooooo much fun when you hit a knot or hard spot and it rolles right up into your hand.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 11:00:10 am »

irwin, that's why in production, the table saw is used before the crown stapler....you remove the fingers on the table saw _before_ you have a chance to staple them!

deknow

Yeah, but have you ever tried to put together frames with one arm for the frames and the other used to secure the nailgun between your waist and your stump?  Tricky for sure!!  :-D
Rick

Offline John Lee Pettimore

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 11:32:17 am »
This is the one that I just bought. Works great so far. It does shoot 18 ga 1 1/4 staples/brads.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018E02UA/ref=oss_T15_product
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 12:21:16 pm »
Yeah, but have you ever tried to put together frames with one arm for the frames and the other used to secure the nailgun between your waist and your stump?  Tricky for sure!!  :-D

clearly, you have not explored the creative uses of superglue!

deknow

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 09:13:36 pm »
Had a compressor already, so I decided to look at EBay to see if I could find that got to have deal and I think I may have lucked out. I bid on two others like the one I won and the price shot up to what you could go to the store a purchase without the shipping, yet. Then I put the minimum bid on another and no one bid against me so I took it at $25.00. It is a heavy duty Fasco that shoots up to 2" 16ga. medium crown staples. The staples were $40.00 at the local hardware and lumber store.

Offline treebee

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 09:29:10 pm »
I really like my bostitch air guns they work well and two or three times a year the salesman comes to our local hardware store to spend the day addressing any problems or repairs we might need.pretty handy when your in the boonies.  John
Relax, step back, take a deep breath, the finger you save just might be your own!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 09:33:17 pm »
Had a compressor already, so I decided to look at EBay to see if I could find that got to have deal and I think I may have lucked out. I bid on two others like the one I won and the price shot up to what you could go to the store a purchase without the shipping, yet. Then I put the minimum bid on another and no one bid against me so I took it at $25.00. It is a heavy duty Fasco that shoots up to 2" 16ga. medium crown staples. The staples were $40.00 at the local hardware and lumber store.

Sparky, that's one heck of a deal, try it out yet?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 11:15:03 am »
Sparky; are those 3/8" or 7/16" crown staples?

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 08:57:00 pm »

Sparky, that's one heck of a deal, try it out yet?

...JP
No, not yet. I am trying to beat in a building project that is desperately needed, but the weather is winning. I have a bunch of new boxes that I can't wait to give it a go, but the hunting season and the building project has been more of a priority for now.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 08:58:23 pm »
Sparky; are those 3/8" or 7/16" crown staples?
Hay ! fish.
That would be the 7/16 crown.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 09:41:56 pm »
Thanks Sparky; I have a 7/16" stapler that we use to staple boxes together. Looking for a 3/8" crown for frames. 7/16" staples work good on top bars but too wide for the bottom bars. Guess I'll end up biting the bullet and paying retail for a SENCO 3/8". The smaller 1/4" staples work well on frames but you really need 2 staples at each joint unless you're gluing them.

anything