Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: no honey at all  (Read 5108 times)

Offline Michael Bach

• House Bee
Re: no honey at all
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 10:18:26 pm »
I am going through this very same thing.  My bees consumed about 20-30 lbs of honey in a week.  There was a 5-6 frames of capped brood that just emerged and they downed most of the honey in the two deeps.  There is still honey in the medium supers.  Will the bees bring that down to the brood boxes?

Either way the stores went from good the low in 7-10 days.  I am feeding them heavily now.  You never know about New England weather.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 11:23:47 pm »
I'm in the same boat here.  Been a nice damp, sunny, hot year, and things are starting to get dry.   Clover/ knapweed done, goldenrod not really starting yet. I think my bees may not have slowed down like they would have normally, then the flow stopped quickly.  Weather permitting, the goldenrod should do well to make up the difference, though.

rick
Rick

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 11:27:47 am »

Hello Everyone,
I just did an inspection yesterday. I have 8 hives and each hive seems healthy and strong.
I was shocked  :shock: to find only one medium super filled with honey, but it's been there since mid July.
The super above nothing!! zip, zero, nada! It's been on there for a month and a half.....no drawn comb either.
Almost no honey in the 2 lower brood boxes.
They had plenty of pollen and plenty of brood, but I did not even see any collected nectar.
I still can't believe it, I spoke to a pro beek who I buy my bees from and she said she has no honey this year.
Lots of Goldenrod around but it's been too dry and it's not poppin'

Bummer

Paul

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 11:41:55 am »
Hollybee's, i went through the same thing the last 4 years in Ga, to dry for golden rod to produce nectar, if they dont have stores or not enough you should poor the feed to them, like said above, dry summers will kill a fall flow.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 01:09:46 pm »
slacker, we are in a nectar dearth in western PA....my bees are bringing in SOME nectar, but its slow...getting better but slow.  I wont be taking a fall harvest this year and morethan likely I'll be feeding them here in a few weeks

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 06:46:40 pm »
wildbeekeeper, I am not sure about down in the burgh but here in beaver county, the golden rod is ready to explode. this dry hot weather is keeping it from blooming large. it looks like me might get some rain Friday, but it is only 40%. I too will have to pull the trigger soon on feeding.

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 11:41:21 pm »
oh we have goldenrod and knotweed too!... but the dry weather isnt allowing for much nectar production!  hoping the rain will help as well!!

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 09:12:14 am »
My smaller hive was completely dry two weeks ago. I fed 4 pounds of dry sugar and it was gone in 4 days. Fed another 4 pounds and there was still quite a bit left after another 5 days...but comb is still empty.

Can you say raindance?

:pinkelephant:  :locked: :piano: :yippiechick: :bee:   

anything