Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any Canadians Out there Buying Gear from the States?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Adam Foster Collins

• House Bee
  • Sweetness and Light
    • The BeeNut Gallery
Any Canadians Out there Buying Gear from the States?
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:26:27 pm »
I'm finding that most Canadian sources are pretty expensive when compared to American sellers. Are any of you Canadians out there buying gear from the American sources?

Is it still economical, after shipping/customs/exchange?

Thanks,

Adam

My "Bee-Shirt" designs: The BeeNut Gallery
My Company: Violet Design
My NGO: Threads of Peru

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Any Canadians Out there Buying Gear from the States?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:11:34 pm »
Exchange rate is about even. 1.05 to the US dollar.   Are there any customs with NAFTA?    Just shipping.     

Offline Trot

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:41:55 pm »
I used to buy a lot from US, but as of late, the fees are a killer.  Handling fees, customs fees, customs handling fees and applicable taxes and more fees.  To top it off, they nail us also with our own taxes even though we don't pay them if buying from other provinces in Canada.  Well, GST I think we have to pay, but not Provincial taxes. 
When I now get the stuf delivered to the door it costs me more than double that what the item costs.  For that to be economicaly feasible the stuf from the US one should be ready to get it there for free and even than I don't believe that it would pay?
Used to do E-Bay, can't anymore, cause everything else on top kills the price!
And they want to broaden this NAFTA to include less fortunate countries from S America? :shock:

What about this: Buy American?

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 04:57:07 pm »
Buy American?  That's just 'newspeak' instructing Americans to buy, and buy, and then buy some more :-D

I think we still make snow plows in America 8-) but I'm not sure.

Buy American?  Is there any thing left?

Buy American.  I think the current use of the phrase is loosely based on the old "bend over and take it ............ :)" principal :(.

(sure would like to purchase some Canadian Bees)

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 07:51:45 pm »
thank the gov and the politicians for that. Greed 

Offline alkaline19

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 01:48:19 pm »
I make a large annual purchase and ship it to the UPSStore on Elmwood Ave in Buffalo, NY - it's just a few minutes from the Peace Bridge. They email me when it arrives (can also tell by the tracking number). For a $30 fee they will hold it. I drive over to Buffalo on the next weekend and pick it up. Save a fortune on shipping this way and I've been lucky as the border agent has yet to hit me up for GST. Tip: there is no duty on agricultural equipment as per NAFTA.
Fortes fortuna adiuvat "Fortune favors the bold"

anything