Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Treating with BT  (Read 7143 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
Treating with BT
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:01:52 pm »
if you treat frames with BT how long should you wait to use them? while still wet or damp is BT harmful to the bees?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Treating with BT
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:12:36 pm »
>if you treat frames with BT how long should you wait to use them? while still wet or damp is BT harmful to the bees?

It will not harm the bees.  You can even spray the frame with the bees still on it...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:23:01 pm »
thanks michael! that's what i was hoping to hear. i have 2 trap boxes ( hogan's )that are ready to hang & just sprayed some frames of old brood. hogan says brood, even old brood will draw the bees to it & might even entice the queen to come out.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:22:44 pm »
I have sprayed frames with bees on them. That stuff works good. I bought some honey supers with drawn comb that had been treated and stored in a barn for 18 years. The wax looks fine.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 12:20:56 am »
Will the BT contaminate the wax or honey that may be later stored in the treated comb?

LD
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:20:48 pm by L Daxon »
linda d

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 08:07:04 am »
Gonna ask a newbie question, just what is BT?
Later,
Ray

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 08:47:31 am »
BT=bacillus thurengiensus. 2 tbsns per gallon of water. spray the comb & allow to dry before storing to prevent molding. it's used to safeguard the comb from wax moths. the powers at be consider it organic so it will not effect your organic status. the best deal i've found is from a u.s. supplier called hid hut. it's sold under the trade name Xen Tari. it's still certified for bee use in canada. i talked to the u.s. mnfr & was told that there was not enough of a demand for it in the u.s. to warrant the expense of having it recertified for bees in the u.s. i've not used it on my comb from supers, only brood comb. it's probably ok but i'd rather not have it in my honey.
 here's a link for hid hut:
http://www.hidhut.com/xentari-p-31.html

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 09:06:20 am »
It states: "XenTari is a highly selective insecticide for use against larvae (worms) of Lepidopterous insects."
Does or could that include SHB larvae?
Later,
Ray

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 09:58:59 am »
Unfortunately, no.  Wax moth larva are more like caterpillars whereas SHB larva are more like maggots.  The BT has no impact on SHB larva because of how selective the spores are.  They apparently are not consumed or effectively activated in the gut of the SHB larva.  But boy howdy does it jack with the wax moth larva.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:42:52 am by D Coates »
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 10:14:20 am »
if you are using screened bottom boards you can use diatamaceous earth or rotonone on the ground below the hive. non poisonous powders that gets in their vitals & suffocates them. you'll need to replace it after a rain. nematodes in the ground help as well. if you use nematodes do not use the above mentioned powders as it will kill them too. i'm also trapping adult beetles. when i feed i put a division board feeder in an empty hive body above the inner cover. when the syrup runs out i find that the beetles will congregate in the empty feeder. i bang it against the upside down outer cover & smash them with my hive tool or thumb. you gotta' be quick as they'll fly off if given the chance.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:46:57 am »
I simply put them in full sun and make sure to not give the bees too much space.  The SHB's are still there but the numbers are very low.  The troubles I've had with them is when a hive suddenly goes queenless, is relatively weak (too much space) and is in the shade.  To me in my apiary, full sun is key.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Jacobs

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 12:21:26 pm »
If you do use BT, make sure it is the type in Xentari and not the type in Dipel.  I have not seen or read where the Dipel version of BT is effective.

Also, do not use it on wet honey frames.  Honey is anti-bacterial and may compromise the effectiveness of the BT.  If you are going to use it on frames that have just been extracted, let the bees clean them up before spraying.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 01:35:33 am »
Thanks a bunch. I like the idea of using this product better than moth crystals to store comb. That is if I'm understanding the proper use of this stuff.
Later,
Ray

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 10:16:47 am »
it does help when storing & when in the hive. i still freeze all frames 2-3 days before storing to kill off any other critters like small hive beetles, their eggs & larva, & mites. i have an upright deep freeze & keep 1 shelf dedicated to bee frames.

anything