Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Cool Swarm, Box Trick Gets 'Em again!  (Read 3582 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Another Cool Swarm, Box Trick Gets 'Em again!
« on: March 29, 2008, 05:09:43 pm »
Timing is everything, and I almost missed the boat on this one, but luck was on my side. There are small rectangular slots, next to the water pipe, where bees had gone into the inner wall through, and I thought for sure the queen was inside the wall aready, but when I got them in the box, they acted like the queen may have been in there, although some were still going into the wall. I decided to open the box back up and do a looksy, and after a couple of minutes, whalla! I found her. Box trick gets 'em again!
http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/March292008]

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beequeen

• New Bee
Re: Another Cool Swarm, Box Trick Gets 'Em again!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:33:20 pm »
Since I'm completely ignorant about bee-lore, but very curious.... what do you do with the box to lure them in?

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 07:34:24 pm »
he puts the queen in the box and leaves an opening for the bees to follow her in.
thanks again jp. father in law is tickled.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 07:39:37 pm »
I am tickled also. Just love these swarm photos JP and would not miss them for anything.

I simply must thank you from the bottom of my heart that you took the time and helped me understand the push in cage today. I was feeling nervous about it all and had to calm down enough to listen to you.

I ended up not going up to do the exchange today due to bad weather. Been damp and cold. Just to cold I thought to open up my good hive and start searching for frames of emerging brood.

I will try tomorrow.

Thanks again
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 09:46:13 pm »
I am tickled also. Just love these swarm photos JP and would not miss them for anything.

I simply must thank you from the bottom of my heart that you took the time and helped me understand the push in cage today. I was feeling nervous about it all and had to calm down enough to listen to you.

I ended up not going up to do the exchange today due to bad weather. Been damp and cold. Just to cold I thought to open up my good hive and start searching for frames of emerging brood.

I will try tomorrow.

Thanks again
Annette

Awe Annette, you know if you ever need help someone here is willing, I just happen to be in the right place at the right time, and saw your plight, this is one of the things I love about this forum, ask and you shall hear an answer.

Bailey, glad father n law was able to get that one, its a good one.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bee4

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 12:56:58 am »
Ok,how exactly do you catch a swarm if the queen is inside the hive in an area you cannot get to it.  I posted on this site as being new with a hive in my home in Austin, TX and would like to relocate this hive to another property of mine with about 17 acres for them to roam free.  As those of you mentioned, it does sound cool to have a hive of my own.  But for now, I want to get it out of the bottom of my house.  As you can probably tell I am not familiar with the nomenclature so please bear with me.  Where can I get a wooden box (their new home) for them so that I can keep them?  WHat is the process of removal and initial keeping once they go into the box?  I see the terms nucs, feed, etc....  What does all this mean?  Can you please explain in detaile how to relocate the bees?  You can send me the answers to my email at alejandrocardona73@yahoo.com and pics would help alot if you have them.  Thanks a bunch in advance..........

Regards,
Alejandro Cardona 

anything