Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ventilation for KTBH  (Read 8061 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Ventilation for KTBH
« on: July 19, 2009, 04:31:38 pm »
I am building a Kenyan Topbar Hive. I put in a screen bottom, with the wood piece able to be put back in place for the winter. I drilled two 3/4 inch holes near the top at each end for ventilation, and the entrance is at the bottom of one end and measures 3/8 by 4 inches. Come winter, I assume I should put the wood bottom back in. Will the existing vent holes be enough, or should I drill some more? The overall size of the hive is 48 x 17 inches.
Thanks!
Alan
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 08:48:03 am by gardeningfireman »

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
Re: Ventilation for KTBH
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:02:51 am »
Plently of ventilation, and maybe even too much for a TBH.   TBHs generally don't have the ventilation problems like Langstoth hives.  Heat rises, and in a TBH is horizontal, so the heat can't get very far.

You may have to plug those holes in the winter, and even in summer, except for the hottest of days.

Depending on what screen size you use to cover the holes, the bees may propolise it anyway.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:12:28 am »
I would not drill anymore holes. If you run into a problem with moisture you can just prop the cover and move a bar but you may have too much ventilation right now as it is.
I have heard that you should not drill holes on each end as it just causes the wind to rip through and suck out all the heat.
Their entrances are enough for ventilation, you should plug up some of those holes its going to make it hard for them to guard that hive with all those openings/entrances.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:28:08 pm »
Thanks for all the info! I will put plugs in the holes on the end opposite the entrance. The screened bottom is about 4 x 34 inches with 1/8" mesh. I can control the opening by replacing all or part of the bottom board. I designed it so it can be held in place under the screen with pins. I plan to use this hive next year.
Thanks again! :)
Alan

Offline RyanB

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:19:18 pm »
If you are convinced you need more top ventilation, instead of making outside modifications. You could drill a few holes in a new top bar and cover them with mesh and put near the end at the follower board.
Currently Fermenting:

Cherry Melomel - 1Gal
Pear Melomel - 1Gal
White Pyment - 1Gal
Root Beer Mead - 1Gal
Mead Cyser - 5Gal

Recently Finished:
Sack Mead - 1Gal, Very Good!
Braggot - 1Gal, Very popular!
Mead Cyser - 1Gal, Wifes Fav!
JAO - 1Gal, Nice, A bit too sweet.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 11:30:03 am »
A small top exit for the warm moist air is sufficient winter or summer but especially in the winter.  Cross ventilation may cause more problems than it solves.  I  drill no holes in my top bar hives at all.  The entrance is just the front bar back from the front 3/8" or so and that's the only ventilation.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

bigbearomaha

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 10:03:09 pm »
a small top exit for the warm moist air is sufficient winter or summer but especially in the winter.  Cross ventilation may cause more problems than it solves.  I  drill no holes in my top bar hives at all.  The entrance is just the front bar back from the front 3/8" or so and that's the only ventilation.

So, do you not use a cover at all over your top bars?  or one modified to keep that bit of space?
Sorry, no need to reply, I saw your answer to same question in another thread.  if top bars are siting on frame, then cover is already raised enough to accommodate opening, if top bars are recessed, then prop the cover.  makes sense.

Big Bear

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 05:40:29 pm »
>So, do you not use a cover at all over your top bars?  or one modified to keep that bit of space?

If you have a typical top bar hive with the bars resting on the sides, then the cover is already the thickness of the top bars above the sides.  So the it is also the thickness of the top bars above the front and back.  A cover on top covers that.

>Sorry, no need to reply, I saw your answer to same question in another thread.  if top bars are siting on frame, then cover is already raised enough to accommodate opening, if top bars are recessed, then prop the cover.  makes sense.

Correct.

I'm just a few miles down the road.  Why not come over and see it?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

bigbearomaha

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 01:08:45 pm »
I appreciate the invite.  Gotta be careful about inviting bears to see your bees though.  LOL. J/K.  I may very well take you up on that someday here.

Big Bear

anything