Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just getting started.  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Danger Brown

• House Bee
Just getting started.
« on: June 10, 2011, 05:30:56 pm »
I'm in Southeast Colorado and have been interested for years. It was an in person conversation with forum member Shawn (who I worked with for about 5 years) that moved me to action.

I had hesitated because it's so expensive to get started, but Shawn told me about having to turn down swarms last summer. Then I saw the KTBH designs and realized I could build some for free with wood I already had. All the sudden, it was looking a lot more economical. So I made a decision to get 10 hives going this summer.

But more about me I guess. I live in the country in an old farm house with alfalfa all around our 3 acres. 3 commercial hive outyards are located within 2 miles of my place. But I'm 1 mile from the closest one so I hope it won't be a problem.

I have a wife and 5 kids and work from home as an internet marketer. Business has slowed down a bit, and I'm hoping I can build the beekeeping into a sideline or maybe even a living.

Thanks to all of you more experienced members for the knowledge you have shared here. I've found it to be a wonderful resource!
Have a nice day!
Danger

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
Re: Just getting started.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:57:15 pm »
Welcome Danger!   :rainbowflower:

That's just what we need on this site----A little more DANGER!   :lau:

Larry

Offline Danger Brown

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 03:05:29 am »
Thanks Larry,

Yeah, DANGER baby! lol

Spent the day in the shop working on a batch of 10 top bar hives with windows on one side. Made some good progress. I'll have all 10 bodies assembled and start priming and painting them tomorrow. Might try to sell a few on craigslist to help fund my new hobby.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:21:23 pm »
Welcome to the forum