Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What gives?  (Read 3264 times)

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
What gives?
« on: September 23, 2008, 08:21:58 pm »
I had a small swarm at home today.  When I finally got to a queen she was jet black.  I trying to figure out where she came from.
1.  Hive #1 is now in an OB hive w/ Italian queen and the numbers are still the same and no Q-cells--not this one.

2.  Hive #2 was large, from a cut out.  I looked in on them first thing.  They were quieter than normal and the numbers seemed lower.  I just removed 2 old frames on Sat. to get rid of the old cutout comb and there was one Q-cell in the middle of the frame.  I did not check the other two old frames. 

3.  I did a cutout Sat. and brought back loads of old comb and honey in a bin and put it in the pasture to be robbed.  I killed 95% of the hive by not knowing how to vacuum.  The ball formed today over this bin.  There had been no sign of balling or queen activity before noon today around these combs. 

So where do you think this queen came from, you have all the info I have.  Oh, my queen in hive #2 is marked.  I did not have time to look for her, but I was under the impression that the old queen left and the new one stayed?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: What gives?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 11:04:51 pm »
Sounds like a feral swarm Many of these bees are black.Guys around here have spoken of starvation swarms. Is your area in a dearth where a wild hive may have swarmed out for lack of food?

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:09:36 pm »
ragweed, golden, ironweed, and coreopsis have been in bloom about 2 weeks and the bees are bringing in pollen.  I don't know about the nectar value of these but by their flower shape it would have to be pretty low.  i had the old comb and honey setting out and they made the swarm over it. 

I checked my hive for Q-cells and found none!!!!   Shocking.  I suspect their are ferals in the area as the gardener up the road said he saw more bees this year than the last 5.  I had not gotten bees until after his garden was finished.  I am the only beek within at least 5-6 miles.   I hope it is a feral -- i'm excited.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
The Right Hive
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:13:39 pm »
Here's my next question:

I quickly put the queen and swarm in a new Top Bar.  When I checked this morning at 54 degrees they were balled up about half the size of a basketball.  They have not started drawing out any of the bars.  They have been in since Tuesday night. 

Should I move them into a nuc (5 fr. med), leave them, or move them into a medium Lang?  I use MannLake PF plastic frames.

If I move them, how should it be done?  In the cold?  Gently scoop the ball up and place in the new box?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:08:11 pm »
I wouldn't "scoop" them.  I would shake them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything