Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey instead of sugar water  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Grizzly8119

• New Bee
Honey instead of sugar water
« on: July 17, 2011, 01:11:54 pm »
Just out of curiosity with using these types of hives (tbh and warre) is it better to use actual honey to feed the bees vs sugar water? I had read that it takes a lot for the bees to turn sugar water into honey. And if it is better do u give straight honey or do u make a diluted version of it?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Honey instead of sugar water
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 01:43:49 pm »
Just out of curiosity with using these types of hives (tbh and warre) is it better to use actual honey to feed the bees vs sugar water? I had read that it takes a lot for the bees to turn sugar water into honey. And if it is better do u give straight honey or do u make a diluted version of it?

BEE CAN NOT turn sugar the to honey........... Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Honey instead of sugar water
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 01:45:52 pm »
where will you get your honey?  if i have some from another hive or have removed some to make room, i will feed it back.  supermarket honey is not bee food.
sugar water is not much different from nectar when it comes to the amount of effort the bees must put into curing it.  for winter storage, we feed a thicker mixture so that they do not have to work so hard to cure it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything