Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something keeps dumping my best hive over...  (Read 3009 times)

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
Something keeps dumping my best hive over...
« on: June 26, 2010, 08:18:32 pm »
This is the second day in a row that I have had to suit-up and put my best hive back together. Will this eventually kill the bees? We just harvested 7 4 lb jars of honey(clover I think) and I would like this hive to remain strong.

I looked at it this morning and it was upright!  :-D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:26:07 pm by zzen01 »

Online G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Something keeps dumping my best hive over...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:31:31 pm »
Got bears??

What kind of damage was done to the wooden ware.............paw marks, claw scratches, bite marks, etc. this will lead you toward the critters ID.

Could even be of the two legged variety  :evil: :evil:

Sounds like it might be time for an electric fence.

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 08:39:26 pm »
Ah Yes....the spirit of youth, doing the "I double dare ya!" and the hormones of showing off for the crowd.

Crapper tipping
Cow tipping
Hive tipping

Fond memories.....  :-D

For the record....I have my hives tipped over on a regular basis. Usually happens on Friday and Saturday nights, at remote yards, requiring me to leave for several hours. Since after helping me (the landowner as I call her. I mean him...ok not that way either....the person helping me), I can not turn down the offer of a cold one, and the trip may last well into the next morning. Wife always asks me why it seems to happen on Friday and Saturdays. I just say those are the nights the young people go out and have fun.  :-D

And if you call me, you too can join the "I just had my hives knocked over and gotta run...sorry babe, I'll be back later" hotline. In-laws in town, we take care of that! Wife has a headache...We got you covered. Girlfriends hubby is out of town,....we know what to do. You name the dates, we will get you out of the house. Emergency short notice plans are available. Full over night "truck breakdown" service is also available. We even have a certified AAA garage call your house to confirm towing service to show legit circumstances.  Have your hives knocked over now and then and get back that freedom you have been dreaming about. Call today.  :-D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:58:10 pm by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:24:58 pm »
Someone is straying away from the subject of the post! Back to the bees. Are there any prints around your hives? Are they eating any of the comb and honey? We have a "make my day" law around here, and I have signs posted around the property of my hives. You might clear out vegetation around your hives and leave soft dirt that will show prints. They also make motion activated outdoor cameras to catch moving objects. Keep us posted on what you find (on the bees only).

Online G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 10:56:27 pm »
Someone is straying away from the subject of the post! Back to the bees. Are there any prints around your hives? Are they eating any of the comb and honey? We have a "make my day" law around here, and I have signs posted around the property of my hives. You might clear out vegetation around your hives and leave soft dirt that will show prints. They also make motion activated outdoor cameras to catch moving objects. Keep us posted on what you find (on the bees only).

You must have some pretty smart critters to be able to read :lau:

BJ you crack me up!
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 12:41:09 am »
Well, you're not in bear country (I live there and I've never seen any nor heard of any).  That leaves horses, cows and teenagers... unless the hive is leaning a lot, in which case you have to include gravity...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 02:05:02 am »
Stake the hive down like a tent. If it falls over after that, then you could either move the hive or put up a more active deterrent that will help educate the pest.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 07:19:31 am »
BJ you crack me up!

Thanks. You would think some humor on a Saturday night would be a good thing..... :roll:  It's not like a whole bunch of people were talking bees. ;) I guess a serious forum, but a dead forum, is better than an active forum that may stray from the topic.... :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 12:23:50 pm »
Yeah, bears are right out (unless that one that they have pictures of recently wandered down your way).
Anyone know if badgers bother hives?  Those we have. Besides Honey Badgers in Africa of course.  I wonder if one can rent critter cams....

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 09:09:49 am »
 i setup my hives over the winter to season them.  no bees.   one was knocked over twice.  both times just happened to be the same days one of my goats got out.  now they reside on anchored pedestals and are tied together with tie downs.   maybe you could borrow a camera like one of these:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=null-cat20098&id=0079756419342a&navCount=0&podId=0079756&parentId=cat20098&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=game%20cameras&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080&hasJS=true

anything