Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: box branding  (Read 6771 times)

Offline rast

• Field Bee
box branding
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:11:11 pm »
 How many of ya'll brand the outside of your boxes? How about your frame tops? How about if you buy hives that are already branded, frames and all. What do you do then? Fl. has a 10 digit ID and brands that long are expensive.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: box branding
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:38:46 pm »
>How many of ya'll brand the outside of your boxes?

I do.

>How about your frame tops?

I try to. Haven't got them all done yet.

>How about if you buy hives that are already branded, frames and all. What do you do then?

Make sure you have a bill of sale to account for the number you have.

> Fl. has a 10 digit ID and brands that long are expensive.

I bet.  Mine are just branded with my last name.

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Clip.jpg
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 09:49:18 pm »
I do not brand my boxes. Hive location is important for many things, including hive health, hive security, etc. Location is a better deterrant than any brand, and except for one unique story from Reggie Wilbanks, I think brands do little to return boxes to owners. Yes, there are some problems every year in California with commercial beekeepers stealing each other's hives, but beyond that, most hobbyists will never have a problem.

I once marked with a stamp on my frames. I do not do it anymore. I was told by others that as long as my frames were in someone else's hives with my mark or brand, that I would be held accountable or could be blamed for every disease down the road in that beekeeper's mind. The more I thought about it being a nuc producer, the more I thought that is made sense.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline thevoice

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:44:47 am »
In Victoria, Australia, beekeepers must be registered with the department of primary industries, then your registration number must be on the side of all of your hives.  Mine is S800, for example.  You don't have to put the number on your frames but I think some people do.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 06:51:26 am »
The main reason I wanted them branded is I was putting a lot of hives in outyards.  Farmers are all old (at least around here).  You never know when they will die and their kids will, believing it to be true, say they are their dad's hives.  It saves any confusion on those kinds of matters.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 08:30:34 am »
The main reason I wanted them branded is I was putting a lot of hives in outyards.  Farmers are all old (at least around here).  You never know when they will die and their kids will, believing it to be true, say they are their dad's hives.  It saves any confusion on those kinds of matters.

Ah, never though about that.

I have that covered by the yearly pollination check they have written for the past number of years.... ;)

And the hive registration with the state agriculture department noting the location, the hive inspection reports signed by me, pictures of my yards in a scrap book, etc, etc.... :roll:

And I do not "buy" one moment, that the kids could "believe" dad was a beekeeper when he was not. I could believe the kids wanting to "claim" the hives, as being thief's, and dirtbags. But no brand will be much without a court order or police action, once they throw you off the property. In those cases, a brand may not mean much. It could be argued that "dad" bought them that way. I'll stick with the cashed checks, inspection reports from the department of Agriculture as the site registered in MY name, etc.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:43:28 am by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:27:03 am »
I brand everything, Pallets,frames and boxes.  I got one of the propane fired branding Irons from brand new industries and was like 400.00 or so and yes unless you do a lot of branding it is costly. You could use a marker to put your numbers on and just do touch ups as needed. As for someone else's numbers on equipment in Florida I believe you leave those numbers on and put yours below. It is illegal to paint over or deface the old numbers.

Offline BEES4U

• House Bee
    • E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 11:42:42 am »

Yes, there are some problems every year in California with commercial beekeepers stealing each other's hives, but beyond that, most hobbyists will never have a problem.

Hobbyist steal too!
Bee theft is not limited to California.
Ernie
E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
bees4u.com
(Queen Breeder)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 01:45:23 pm »
As of right now I can't justify the cost of the brand due to the amount of hives I have.  Eventually, when my hive count increases to >100, then I will definitely be doing that.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 02:14:21 pm »
I will not waste time branding boxes and frames and such..  I agree.  Keep them well hidden in the locations..  As far as Florida requiring u to not deface your own property after you bought it, maybe they should come up with a BIN kind of like VIN (aluminum tag) for every frame, box, lid, pallet, etc... 

I know theft sucks but somethings just sound rediculous. 
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 03:12:07 pm »
I'd brand them too, but I just hate the thought of having to rounding them all up, roping them, wrastling them to the ground and tying them up just for that. :roll:

Maybe I'll just write my name on the inside with a Sharpie... :)
Rick

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 11:04:12 pm »
I'd brand them too, but I just hate the thought of having to rounding them all up, roping them, wrastling them to the ground and tying them up just for that. :roll:

Maybe I'll just write my name on the inside with a Sharpie... :)

I know what you mean, bull dogging a hive full of bees is hard work, takes me a week with each hive.  The branding iron I made out of the head of a pin.   :lol:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:30:44 pm by Brian D. Bray »
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 06:53:46 pm »
The branding iron I made out of the head of a pin.   

Wow you sure got good eyesight and steady hands Brian :lol:
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 08:52:57 pm »
Branding isn't so bad. I'm having trouble with the ear tags.
Actually; you can try steel stamps. Harbor Freight has a 3/8" set for about $20.00
Just search stamps. Won't let me post a link???
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 10:15:13 pm »
I'm having trouble with the ear tags.
 When you get it worked out, send us a picture :-D.

Fl. requires a 1/2" letter. Of course, I'm not suppose to buy bees without an inspection, not supposed to catch swarms, not suppose to use oxalic acid for mites, not supposed to .........

Long story short, I had a hive "go missing". Left the concrete blocks though. The inspector had told me not to even bother calling him if I had a theft unless they were branded. I can understand that. No proof of ownership. I was just wondering how many did brand.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 09:56:48 am »
I built my own branding iron using my initials "DR" out of 1/8 round stock, then welded them to a heavy 1" round washer that I welded to a 3/8 rod.  I just let it sit in the coals of my wood burner as I assemble boxes and frames. Works very well burning deep into the wood

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 10:16:27 am »
Will cattle branding irons work on wood?

I tried to pyrography the numbers on, but it looks messy.

Lone

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 12:46:45 am »
Steak Brands com has a classic 3 letter monogram 1'x3' iron for around $39.95
Use a charcoal fire to heat it.
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 01:28:49 am »
I saw them for less on ebay.  search custom branding iron.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

anything