Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Evening inspection okay?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline VTnewbee

• New Bee
Evening inspection okay?
« on: August 17, 2009, 02:53:48 pm »
I'm worried that my bees may have swarmed as it's really hot these last couple of days and I haven't seen a bit of bearding and there's been a lot less activity in general.  I'd really like to do an inspection this evening to see if there's any sign of a queen, but I'm sitting at work as I write this.  It's a perfectly clear, hot day and it will still be very warm this evening.  Is it okay to do an inspection around 5 or 6pm?  I've always done them on weekends around 11am or so.  If I were a bee I'd be thrilled to have my hive opened up in the evening after such a hot day, but I'm not a bee, so I could use some advice!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Evening inspection okay?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 02:58:57 pm »
i do some of mine in the evening.  do it before dusk and use smoke.  you should be fine.  don't do it after dark!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
Re: Evening inspection okay?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 12:34:35 am »
If they swarmed you probably won't find a queen.  Perhapps queen cells :-D
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!