Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Losses Puzzle Experts  (Read 2464 times)

IndianaBrown

Bee Losses Puzzle Experts
« on: December 22, 2006, 05:39:53 pm »
Something new to worry about?

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061222/NEWS/612220347/1178

...Seven commercial beekeepers interviewed for the report claimed hive losses ranging from 30 percent to 90 percent, and one beekeeper said he expected just nine of his 1,200 colonies to survive the winter...

...University of Florida professor Jamie Ellis said the disease might be the work of varroa mites, a pest of honeybees that transmit viruses.
Then again, fall dwindle might also be connected to bacteria, weather patterns, chemical buildup in honeycombs or stress from being transported for commercial pollination...

I'm betting on the chemical buildup myself.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bee Losses Puzzle Experts
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 07:37:23 pm »
I read this article and it seems like an awful thing that is occurring.  I am sure that with all the experts that they will have working to find out how to combat this, something positive will come out of it all.  Let's hope so, the world needs the pollinators for food provision for sure.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

IndianaBrown

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 06:28:51 am »

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:27:01 am »
Bee Culture has an article this month about the new nosema.  If i skip read it right this might be the same thing.

IndianaBrown

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 09:21:58 pm »
This seems to be more or less the central point for info on this:
http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/pressReleases/ColonyCollapseDisorderWG.html