Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3 packages, but all bees went to one hive  (Read 5064 times)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: 3 packages, but all bees went to one hive
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 02:32:35 pm »
 some times when they make up the packages -whether they shake the bees or
 use a smoke up box -the mated queen from the hive slips in with the bees-so
there was a mated queen in the package bees-and the caged queen was along
for the ride-also these packages could of been shaken from the same hives-the package
bees began acting like a swarm in there efforts to reunite ---and this is what the package
producer will understand and needs to hear if there is going to be a communication-- 8-) RDY-B

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 11:52:10 pm »
>MB:  So why do you think that is?  Is it possible that the pied piper queen was better mated?

That is my theory.

>That's about the only conclusion I can draw with the limited experience I have -- They left their packages, left their queen, went on an elimination flight, then went back to the hive with the stronger pheramones?

That's my theory.  Let's put it another way, though, the other queens were poorly mated...

>I guess there's a learning curve with everything, though, and I have some pretty clear ideas of how I'd do things differently next time.  I just feel bad for these folks.  Bad enough to lose one colony.  But three, that just bites...or stings...whatever.

Yes.  I feel your pain.  I had the same experience many times and more so this year.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 01:09:10 am »
Very interesting stuff here and still learning new things.

Good luck with the company and hope they make good on this.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 07:16:50 am »

Jim:  I don't.  I do know there was a delay with the bees, so I can only guess that they were packaged and delivered very shortly thereafter.  The syrup cans in the other packages I hived from this delivery were almost completely full.

IMHO I like keeping bees in the packages for 2 or 3 days be for hiving them.I hope the bee company help you out.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything