Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Second season of bee keeping and loving it  (Read 1988 times)

Offline justaddworms

• Brood
    • justaddworms.com
Second season of bee keeping and loving it
« on: March 26, 2011, 07:52:13 am »
Hello Everyone

I'm a hobbyist bee keeper with three hives and live in a semi rural area of Auckland New Zealand. I'm a member of the Auckland Bee Keepers club and have joined this forum to learn more about bee keeping. Next season I hope to have 6/7 hives and from there .... who knows.

Until next time

Rodney   

Offline Wits End

• House Bee
Re: Second season of bee keeping and loving it
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:28:39 am »
Hey Rodney. I am a 3rd year Beekeeper in the Mississippi Delta here in the U.S. I really hate I waited til my late 40's to find something I'm so passionate about but I'm glad I found it. I wouldn't attempt to give you any advice simply because of our different locales but there is plenty of advice on every subject here and lots of long time beekeepers to help. My only advice is don't plan on how many hives you want to add next year. Nature has a real good habit of changing that for you. Just do your best at managing your Bees and you may even do better than you expected.

Jeff
Jeff and Kellie Houston
Wits End Blueberry and Bee Farm
Greenwood Mississippi

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:40:03 am »
Welcome to the forum.   

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:00:43 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline justaddworms

• Brood
    • justaddworms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29:08 am »
We are approaching our winter here in NZ so will see hows things work out. Within the next few weeks I am collecting 2 more hives from an elderly bee keeper in our club who is wanting to reduce his numbers and work load so I will have 5 hives to get through the winter. Here in Auckland it doesn't get very cold so hopefully all my hives will make it through to next spring.

anything