Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Strange Honey  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Strange Honey
« on: October 14, 2005, 09:40:42 am »
About a week and a half ago I pulled off the last bit of honey in two of my hives, and it's a bit unusual.  It has an aroma I can only describe as "musky" -- more of the "wild" smell and less of the sweet smell than honey I pulled off earlier in the year.  Would this be from the goldenrod that was blooming so profusely before the deluge hit?

-- Kris

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Strange Honey
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 12:15:34 pm »
That's it.  It was a very good Fall here as well.  My whole yard reaks of the smell on a calm day as the honey ripens.  It becomes an aquired smell :)  It is somewhat unpleasant at first, but then when you know it's the smell of a good honey flow, it becomes quite pleasant :lol:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Strange Honey
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 10:29:55 pm »
Sounds like goldenrod to me.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Strange Honey
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 09:19:25 pm »
Well, it certainly is an aroma that must be learned to like!

And hey, after 8 days of steady rain, the bees went crazy in today's sunny, 75 degree weather.  I haven't seen them fly like that for weeks.

-- Kris

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Strange Honey
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 09:30:26 pm »
Kris, have you noticed if your bees were bringing in much pollen?  I haven't seen much coming in up here.  Things might be about finished.  I'm going out tomorrow and see if I notice any more.  Just curious.  Thanks.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Strange Honey
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 10:21:59 pm »
You think that's strange?!  Down here the kudzoo makes a honey that is as purple as grape cool-ade®.  The Brazilian Pepper makes a honey that looks as green as cabbage but, tastes pretty good.  Weird part is, this year, there are reports from beekeepers of bees capping honey at 25% moisture.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Strange Honey
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 10:22:37 pm »
You think that's strange?!  Down here the kudzoo makes a honey that is as purple as grape cool-ade®.  The Brazilian Pepper makes a honey that looks as green as cabbage but, tastes pretty good.  Weird part is, this year, there are reports from beekeepers of bees capping honey at 25% moisture.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Strange Honey
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 08:06:53 pm »
Quote from: bassman1977
Kris, have you noticed if your bees were bringing in much pollen?  I haven't seen much coming in up here.  Things might be about finished.  I'm going out tomorrow and see if I notice any more.  Just curious.  Thanks.

Up until we had the 8 days of rain (starting on the 7th) they were still bringing pollen in.  I haven't been around to check since the weather broke, though.  The goldenrod started snapping back from being drenched, though, even though the evenings have been quite cool.

-- Kris

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Strange Honey
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 10:15:13 pm »
I had a look today as I was wrapping my hives.  Nothing coming in.  Oh well.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline bill

• House Bee
Strange Honey
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 10:49:54 pm »
I havent worked my bees lately and two of my nucs looked as if they are having orientation flights. Hundreds of bees flying around the hive the weather has cooled some here and nothing seems to be blooming. guess they might be strong enough to get through the winter.
billiet

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Strange Honey
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 12:41:40 am »
The last of our mum crop is sitting out in the field now, and because of the lateness of the season, they're all in bloom.  As more and more mums get pulled out, the bees forage a smaller and smaller lot of them.  When Liz went to grab a last batch this afternoon, she said there were thousands of bees out there, more than a dozen on each mum.

I wonder what mum honey tastes like?   :lol:

-- Kris

anything