Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question on frames  (Read 3496 times)

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
Question on frames
« on: November 25, 2008, 08:44:33 pm »
My starter kit was purchased from Mann Lake (their boxes, their frames.) Also i just purchased 100 frames from Kellys.

I noticed that the Mann Lake frame top bars are made such that they sit 1/4 inch below the top of the box(s) on the rabbet, and the bottoms are 1/4 inch short of the bottom of the box(s). This would leave 1/2 inch bee space between stacked supers, and i noticed i get a lot of brace (burr?) comb in this space.

On the other hand, the Kelly frames are made such that the top bars rest about 3/8 below the tops of the boxes in the rabbet, but the bottom bars run flush with the bottoms of the boxes, maintaining the 3/8 bee space i read so much about between stacked supers.

Has anyone noticed more or less brace comb using kelly frames, or is this a moot observation  :?
A beekeeper is not what i am, it's what i aspire to become.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Question on frames
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 12:00:59 am »
The Kelly configuration is the one more in line with Langstroths findings and recommendations.  You're right, those extra spaces on Mann Lake Hives do contribute to the manufacture of burr comb, not a bad thing when topping off a hive for overwintering.  But Mann Lake's hive is often preferred by beekeepers because it is less prone to mishandling causing damage to frames and comb because of the recess's at the top and bottom of the super.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 09:17:30 pm »
Most frames leave 1/4" at the top and 1/8" at the bottom.  But that also depends on who made the box. :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 09:31:12 pm »
Most frames leave 1/4" at the top and 1/8" at the bottom.  But that also depends on who made the box. :)

The box is mann lake and their frame and a kelley frame side by side in the box sit at the different levels i mentioned.

Could be the box i guess, or maybe a combo of both. Maybe after tomorrows festivities i'll get a chance to do the measuring. I know i like the idea of keeping 3/8 bee space between the supers, i ripped apart quite a bit of burr comb doing inspections this year, hoping the 3/8 will reduce it.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 11:25:15 am »
Measuring is fine and all that, but you do need to get used to the burr comb.  :)

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#leaveburr
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 11:43:55 pm »
I can not remember where I seen it at, but it was a list that showed all the dimensions of all the major suppliers. And it was as if not one was the same as the others. A real shame for the industry. And I don't know anyone who buys based on trying to keep to one supplier in attempts of making it all fit together. In fact, even when you order from one place, the bee space is usually messed up anyways. Oh well.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 08:50:10 pm »
And it was as if not one was the same as the others. A real shame for the industry.

A shame for sure. But i do like the Kelley frames, so maybe i'll use my current boxes for patterns for supers and such, and just keep buying frames from Kelleys. I guess it dosent really matter that all the bee space is above the top bars, as long as it's correct space (which it is with the Mann Lake boxes at least).

anything