Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pics of the new OB Hive  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Pics of the new OB Hive
« on: June 25, 2008, 01:16:24 am »
Ok, here is the new OB hive that is now placed on my wife's side of the bed in the master.  :-D She wants to make sure I put that part in there as she is pretty sure she deserves the "beehaver wife of the year award" this year. She has been really patient with me I must admit.
Anyway, take a look. Let me know what you think.

This I had to put in, this is my little 4 yr old Emma

And my 13 yr old helper Madison

F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Pics of the new OB Hive
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:27:13 am »
The girls are beautiful, I love the way little ones look all disheveled!  Hive is cool too, I might have to get one someday!
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 02:48:49 am »
   Great pictures and the kids are adorable.  I'm hoping to one day convince my wife into having one in the house. :lol:
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:25:55 am »
Nice photos. I would sleep with any bees around, but my wife is not so beelover as me.
Is that ventilation duct in the OB hive enought to breath?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 08:45:52 am »
Can't tell by the pictures, but do you have a cover for it?   If not, simply draping a beach towel over it works great.  Bees don't like the light, so it is best if you keep it covered when not looking at it.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 10:56:25 pm »
The white tube out the window is their entrance and there are vent holes out the top. I think that they are getting adequate air but will keep a close eye on them.
I do have a towel that I cover the hive with when not watching them with holes in the top as not to block the vents.
I have noticed a couple of things.
1. Drones are huge!!!
2. I think that I see the wisdom in a queen excluder. Most of my frames are 3/4 brood, and outer corners honey.
3. I want a bigger OB Hive!!
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 03:58:07 pm »
Frantz, lovely pictures, your children are beautiful.  So nice when our forum friends take us into their lives and show us things, lovely.  Have that most beautiful and wonderful days and many more.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything