Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello to all  (Read 9550 times)

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Hello to all
« on: May 03, 2005, 08:35:44 am »
I plan on starting a hive next week(my first) and I found your site. Hopefully my next post won’t be asking for bee sting remedies..

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 09:21:48 am »
LOL Welcome aboard Lead Pipe (what a name! :) ).

And just incase...... Benadryl works well to relieve bee sting effects. Bee stings don't hurt quite as bad as a wasp or hornet, as long as it's not on a tender skin area. But effects from a bee sting hours later can sometimes be painful. The times I took Benadryl right after getting stung, I had very little effects. The times I forgot, I ended up with lots of swelling, with some swelling and itch.

You'll do fine. :)

Beth

Offline Bruce Hanson

• House Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 10:14:38 am »
Oh Miss Chick-a-Bee your such a wuss I got stung 150 times yesterday and did'nt feel a thing.             Bruce

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 10:25:25 am »
Welcome Leadpipe dont worry about stupid questions they havnt run me off but then again I like to think they like having a village idiot around I mean really what is a village forum without a village idiot lol so welcome and your going to enjoy it here and having your hives

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 10:53:15 am »
Bruce,

If you didn't feel anything, how do you know how many times you were stung?

For me it just burns for a minute and looks like a skitter bump and its over with. The bump is usually gone the next day.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
stung
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 11:05:35 am »
his wife told him after pulling all the stingers out with tweezers  :lol:

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 09:23:22 pm »
No.... I know how Bruce knew! He just flexed his muscles, stretching that steel skin a' his. Then the stings went flying out so fast that they pierced the trees around him. He then thought that was so cool, he decided to count them and see how many it was. It was really 200 stings.... his new record. But he wasn't sure if you'd even believe him if he told you that many.

He hadn't wanted to brag to ya' all either. :)

Beth

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 10:42:57 pm »
Thanks for responding. A very nice site you have here. Thanks for the sting tips; I can't wait to try the muscle flex sting extractor technique. I new I would learn some valuable information when I found this place.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 11:13:48 pm »
When starting a package, they are usually pretty docile.  Later, use a little smoke, protect your eyes, don't count on the muscle flex sting extractor technique.  That only works with southern girls.  It's more of a "ZEN" thing.  Steady and deliberate movements.  You will notice bees that seem to be reaching for you.  If you jerk, they have you.. but if calm.. nothing is amiss.  Sometimes they zoom right onto your hands and arms.  Calmly go about your business.   So will they.  Sometimes they are cantankerous.  Close em back up and look another day.

Offline Bruce Hanson

• House Bee
ZEN Beekeeping
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 10:00:48 am »
Working bees in slow motion is fine and does work but when one has to work several hundred hives a day it just does'nt work and would look kind of silly too.Also cageing queens and putting in queen cells   one could never wear gloves.          When working bees for a living the weather sometimes is not the best for working outside and a double wammy when you have to go into a beehive,so all kidding aside a couple hundred stings is possiable.

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 05:29:29 pm »
200 stings???
I think I'm going to give breeding Pit bulls a try.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 05:49:34 pm »
I had a friend that did the Pit Bull thing. He did raise them for "questionable" reasons. And he knew several other people that had Pits. I would go with him and be around all these dogs. They were the most gentle dogs. As far as people were concerned. But it sure was a struggle to seperate two of them if they got into a fight. You had to stick a water hose in their mouths and just about drown them before they would let go, and then pull them apart before they latched on again.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 09:30:18 pm »
Lead Pipe-

Bruce has MANY hives, and does this as a serious business. So for a small time beekeeper, the only time you might get that many stings is if you did something terrribly wrong.
One time, Beemaster (John), dropped a whole super of bees on his feet. He wasn't wearing a suit or anything, but was actually wearing shorts (with boxers under). THAT was not a good experience for him. :) Especially since the unhappy bees flew straight up his drawers ...... and then went to a stingin'.
In general, if you plan to take your time, you may not receive any stings.

Beth

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 09:46:47 pm »
Wow.... twice blessed.  Got the land shark... I mean pitbull, no. 4, and the bees keeping us under a protective umbrella.  I didn't realize what a safe place fort golfpsycho was!!  bahahahahahahaha

BTW, keep fingers and hands away from the business end of those dogs if they are skirmishing.  They can take them off faster and cleaner than a surgeon.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Hello to all
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 03:12:24 pm »
One time, Beemaster (John), dropped a whole super of bees on his feet

I thought he said that the super had become so rotton that it fell apart instead of what you said in that he lost his grip.  I don't know I could be wrong.

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 03:15:05 pm »
ssssshhhhh    it is more fun to juice up the story at times keeps us interesting  :lol: besides we like the fun stories

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 04:06:34 pm »
About John's little mishap....

Yeah, I do believe John had said it was a rotten box, and broke. But he still "dropped" the box - didn't he? I didn't say it slipped out of his fingers.... I just said he dropped it on his feet. Where did I embelish the story? :shock:

No matter. He did say he got stung in a not so great place. That I do know. :)

Beth

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 06:23:01 pm »
Yeah sure. That's his story and he sticking to it. Probably too many sips from the bottle. :lol:

Offline Bruce Hanson

• House Bee
Dropping Bee Hives
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 07:12:35 pm »
Try having a pallet with 24 hives    come apart while loading a semi     tralier that is about 5 feet high.  They have a way of exploding when making contact with the hard ground,and the bees wanting to attack the nearest living thing,,the fork lift operater,ouch  double ouch. Just one of my many sting  stories

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Hello to all
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 07:46:33 pm »
Bruce, you need the enclosed cab option for your forklift, or maybe the screen door option so you can still breath the diesel fumes! :lol:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson