Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Flora of Queensland  (Read 6558 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Honey Flora of Queensland
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:30:15 am »
by ST Blake and C Roff

G'day,
This book came in the mail yesterday and I rushed it straight from the post office to the nursery.  Has anyone read or used this book?

It is a bit of a misnomer.  Some of the plants listed produce pollen only, "objectional propolis" or honey with "a somewhat displeasing aroma" or "of little value for table purposes"!  It was a little disappointing to find that of the two bottlebrushes listed, one produces honey with "a weak density and poor flavour".  The bottlebrushes and grevillea we planted for the bees are thriving now, many different varieties, and the bees are all over them.  I guess they either love them or are starving.

Anyway, there were two plants that piqued my interest and the interest of my nurseryman.  A couple of years ago I'd asked him to order in a coolibah tree.  This is purely because I feel disgraced that I don't know what a coolibah looks like.  But they are hard to come by and he hasn't found one yet.  This is the Eucalyptus microtheca.  However, the book also lists the Eucalyptus orgadophila, or Mountain coolibah.  You would be familiar with this, Westmar?  It produces honey "of a good density with a good mild flavour and candies with a creamy fine grain".  It flowers every 4 years and I guess takes 40 years to start flowering, but despite these setbacks, my nurseryman is on the job to acquire a couple of saplings.

The other tree is a swamp mahogany.  This is confusing because two different trees are called swamp mahogany.  But the one my nurseryman is familiar with flowers every year.  I think the one he'll look for is the Eucalyptus robusta.

Many names are confusing; many trees have several different local names and even more than one botanical name.  There are many different paperbarks in the book and it is hard to know if they are ones we have here.

There are sections on coastal central, paroo district and north queensland flora, as well as the SE.

Lone

Offline westmar

• House Bee
Re: Honey Flora of Queensland
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 01:34:28 am »
hi
   the coolabah out her flowers around December normally it flowers with red gum on the moonie river.if you get rain when it flowers the flow will stop buds fall off.if we get early spring rain you get a good show of flower

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 10:49:40 am »
Thanks, Westie.

We're certainly more likely to get December rain than early Spring rain. I don't think it's rained for 3 or 4 months. But hopefully the trees will be domesticated, if I can get them, and won't mind the artificial wet season bore water. If they don't flower, at least I will be able to say I know what a coolibah looks like. I have a couple of young river red gums growing too. 

I noticed two things flowering today in the paddock.  One was a smooth barked tree with small leaves and clusters of tiny white flowers, and the other was the poplar gum with only a couple of flowers out.  I haven't seen it flower here before.  I also saw a flash of what looked like a dingo.

Lone

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 11:05:43 pm »
HI
   OUT HER WE GOT BUDDAOR BASTARD SANDALWOOD[EREMOPHILA MITCHILLII]&POPLAR BOX[EUCALYPTUS POPULNEA].THEY ARE BOTH PUTTING ON AGOOD SHOW OF FLOWERS AT MOMENT.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:34:07 am »
My nursery man says it's hard to buy eucalypts now.  Does anyone know of a supplier that stock swamp mahogany?

We've got the black tea tree out now.

Lone

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 03:03:27 am »
I find " the honey Flora of Qld"  a great reference.

I have the 1972 edition and I wish they would reprint with maybe new photos. There is nothing like it around

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 04:37:08 am »
I doubt there will ever be a reprint as at the time of printing I believe Blake & Roff were working for the then Queensland DPI.
Kev

Offline Dave P

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 05:35:22 pm »
I got my copy when I was a kid cost me 15shillings.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 06:58:29 pm »
15 shilling!!

I think the first printing was in 1958.

Not sure when I got mine but it is a 1972 reprint. I have to look in second hand bookshops - we have two in Maleny

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 01:20:50 am »
There was a third edition in 1987 and that has been reprinted twice the last time was in 1996.
Kev.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 06:47:01 am »
Did they up-date the later editions?

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 07:52:29 am »
I used to have the 1972 edition however it was borrowed and never returned. I managed to get hold of 1996 reprint which I refer to fairly often. As to weather any of them have been updated I am unable to answer. From memory I think the 1972 edition was hardcover (correct me if I am wrong) the last reprints are softcover.

Kev

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 06:02:54 pm »
Yes, the 72edition is indeed hardcover

anything