Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ZomBees  (Read 1995 times)

Offline MarinaDS

• New Bee
    • Bees Not Beads
ZomBees
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:57:25 pm »
I am an urban beekeeping in Minneapolis on a typical city lot (40ft X 120ft). I keep two hives in my backyard. This summer I often noticed late at night when coming home that the garage flood light was on and there would be a handful of bees buzzing around it, like moths to a flame. In the morning some may be quietly standing near or around the light, but overall very much motionless, yet not dead. Some would also be on the cement walkway walking around seemingly groggy. It was odd behavior fr sure.

In the recent newsletter from my Beekeeping Association, there was an article about research being done in California for what they are calling Zombees. They exhibit similar behavior as described above and it turns out that the bees may be carriers of a certain species of fly's egg/larvae which grows inside the bee making them go somewhat mad. I was glad and scared that there was a reason for my bees behavior.

I have signed up as a "citizen scientist" and a made an inexpensive light trap. I encourage you also to sign up,be informed and see what sort of data sets you can provide these researchers. You can see their website:

zombeewatch.org.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: ZomBees
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:59:48 pm »
Bees will always fly to the light in the dark.   

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:05:35 am »
Just remember, double tap ;)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 04:49:51 pm »
big news out here in Orygun.  Oregon State bee researcher finds our first Zombi fly today.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/release/2012/09/osu-finds-oregons-first-honeybee-infected-zombie-fly
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:50:38 pm by Robo »
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 06:02:53 pm »
Bees are attracted to light. It is not natural for them to come upon flood lights at the end of the day. And a certain number of bees never make it back to the hive at night for a number of reasons. So they get trapped out in the night, cooler than they are accustomed, are attracted to the light, and probably about starving to death by morning. No wonder they walk around like zombies. It is not a great mystery.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

anything