Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wild grouse that is tame!  (Read 3258 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Wild grouse that is tame!
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:45:25 am »
I dont know if any of you have heard of this phenomenon but apparently once in a while there are for whatever genetic reason grouse born with no fear of humans.  They actually will follow you around with great curiosity as if you raised them as a pet.  One of these popped up at my uncles this year.  My cousin remarked one day as he returned from checking his deer plot where he planted corn that there was a grouse there and it did not even bother running off when he pulled up on his four wheeler.  Next thing we knew he would pop up along the trails and run in front of us or follow behind us as if he were the family dog.  Come deer season he followed on of the deer hunters to his stand and actually jumped right up in his lap and started picking at his gloves.

My uncle just emailed me some pictures.  One picture shows the grouse right in the cab of the mule (a four wheel utility vehicle) as he decided to come along for the ride.  No kidding folks, lol!

hopefully I can get the pictures uploaded for you all to see.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:16:49 pm by Robo »
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Wild grouse that is tame!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:22:16 am »
A cousin in Colorado called them crazy chickens.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:57:54 am »
Not here..Those crazy things wait til your about to step on them to explode out from under you. Scares the stew out of ya every time. Would love to have some eggs from them to set in an incubator. Could ya follow it around til Spring and save me some :)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:37:02 am »
Very cool!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:43:44 am »
That's pretty neat!

Is it just humans that they aren't afraid of?  If not, then it is amazing that it lasted this long!!
Rick

anything