Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not Just HoneyBees!  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
Not Just HoneyBees!
« on: January 02, 2005, 11:15:40 pm »
Ok honeybee keeping has gotten me intrested in other types of "bees" i was wondering if anybody knew of any types of bees that you can keep besides honey bees and bumble bees. I would like to observe some tyoe of bees and see what they do. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Bee  Boy
Bee Boy

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Not Just HoneyBees!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 11:20:14 pm »
I have only sean bumble bees as another bee to keep. bye
Ryan Horn

Anonymous

Not Just HoneyBees!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 07:39:36 am »
I think you can get mason bees by mail order.  They aren't cheap as I recall.  But you set up a block, with tubes or straws, and the bees make a nest there.  They are used for pollination to a small extent, but I beleive they are more of a solitary bee.  I'm not really sure how their life cycle works, and if you can save the straws and restart the bees each year, or if you have to order new each year.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Not Just HoneyBees!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 10:06:41 am »
Quote from: Bee Boy
Ok honeybee keeping has gotten me intrested in other types of "bees" i was wondering if anybody knew of any types of bees that you can keep besides honey bees and bumble bees.

In Malesia I saw interesting bees. The hives was like human thumble size tubes, and they were fixed in the tree trunk.  Opening was downwards. There was little bees inside, about 6 mm long. Perhaps there were 20-30 bees in the hive. Some guarded  the opening. They were not nursed.

I have read that in Brasil Apiculture University  tryes to keep wild bees which make combs like cups upwards. Bees have no sting.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Not Just HoneyBees!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 10:12:51 am »
My mother has these wind chimes hanging on her porch made out of one inch tubing. Some kind of bee stuffs grass up in them for a nest every year. Don't know what kind of bee that is and probably not an interesting one to raise.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
Not Just HoneyBees!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 09:37:57 pm »
You should check out http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/inse006/inse006.htm for more info on mason bees.
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Not Just HoneyBees!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 10:05:40 pm »
I would love to start a YELLOW JACKET MUSEUM OF TORTURE but torture is too good for these nasty creatures. Then again, my coworkers probably say the same thing about me - lol.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Anonymous

Not Just HoneyBees!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 10:03:14 am »
Posted on the garden forum. lots of good information here. information on bees wasp and hornets as well as other bugs.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Is it a good bug or a bad bug????????  

Use this site to find and Identify the bug that you see in the garden.
Also use it to find the bug so you can deal with the bad bugs with out harm to the good bugs.
There is a difference you know.

http://cirrusimage.com/

:D Al

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
Not Just HoneyBees!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 03:08:23 pm »
ok no wasps!!! ALthough it is fun to swat then with a tennis racket. And feeling that crunch as they die :twisted:

Bee Boy
Bee Boy

Offline ibeecanadian

• New Bee
Not Just HoneyBees!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 07:27:56 pm »
the mason bee's are neet to look at but they love to cut up rose leafs. bumble bee's i asume are good for pollination. wasps/hornets i dont think i need to go there. a great way to get rid of them is to take a plastic pop bottle and cut off the neck part. put some bannana peal inside the bottle with a little sugar water and stick the neck upside down inside the bottle and use duct tape to secure it in place. it should look something like a glass with a funnal inside. the nasty little wasps will go through the hole but will be unable to figure how to get out. works great. ive never had a problem with honey bee's going in.... guess wasps are just stupid.

anything