Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive top feeder  (Read 7378 times)

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
hive top feeder
« on: June 29, 2004, 02:05:25 pm »
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
hive top feeder
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 03:28:19 pm »
I'm not sure about wood for a feeder. With glass or platic, you can scrub and steralize, in case of mold. And parafin might keep it from leaking for a while, but how long?
Lesli

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
hive top feeder
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 03:58:59 pm »
Miller feeders have been used for years,  they work just as poorly  8) as any other hive top feeder that requires the bees to leave the cluster to feed.  They will not get any activity on cold days or during cold nights.  With an inverted jar feeder, the bees can cluster right under it and work it 24/7 regardless of the weather.

Just put a couple coats of polyureathane on the inside and it will work for many years.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
hive top feeder
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 04:24:24 pm »
Hadn't thought about the tempreture issue
Looks like I am looking for a 1 gal glass jar
The robo feeder wins

What about cutting holes and using 4 qt size jars?
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
hive top feeder
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 04:45:10 pm »
Any size jar will work.  The quart size jar fits nicely in an empty medium while the gallon fits inside an empty deep.  Depending on the weather, and how fast they take the syrup, depends on what size you want to use.

If they are really taking the syrup, like a package building comb,  then the gallon is best because you won't be filling it every/everyother day,  and they syrup will be consumed before it goes moldy.

On a established hive with stores left from winter, the consumption will be slower, and the quart size works better and will be consued before it goes moldy.

There are many other things better to spend your money on than a feeder, when glass jars are free :lol:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
hive top feeder
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 06:54:29 pm »
Quote from: Robo

There are many other things better to spend your money on than a feeder, when glass jars are free :lol:

I like the way you think

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
hive top feeder
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 10:16:01 pm »
Robo - I am probably being very dense but what are you coating in this statement you made about polyureathane?

Just put a couple coats of polyureathane on the inside and it will work for many years.
Judy

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
hive top feeder
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 10:19:12 pm »
Quote from: Judy Frey
Robo - I am probably being very dense but what are you coating in this statement you made about polyureathane?

A few coats on the inside of the wooden miller feeder will prevent the syrup from seeping into the wood and make cleaning easier.

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
hive top feeder
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 10:21:05 pm »
Ahah - I get it now.
Judy

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
hive top feeder
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 10:33:08 pm »
This isn't even one of the better designed miller feeders.  If you look at the plans on BeeSource,  you can see a design that allows you to easily fill it, as long as it hasn't gone dry,  without the bees being able to get out.  It basically has an addition board on each side that forms a corridor down towards the syrup.  A piece of screen is put across the center section, which only allows the bees down towards the syrup and not out the top.

Geesh, I got a couple used ones all poly'ed and waxed up that I don't use,  maybe I should put them out on Ebay :lol:

Offline mark

• House Bee
hive top feeder
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 06:10:03 pm »
yea do it .  

especially since the one listed on ebay went for near twice what brushy mountain gets for them new!
guess folks think it's cheaper just 'cause it's on ebay.

anything