Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from SE Michigan  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Michael Mantas

• Brood
Hello from SE Michigan
« on: February 10, 2008, 01:50:34 pm »
Hello,

My family (wife and 2 little ones) and I are new to beekeeping.

We're starting two small cell hives from nucs we are purchasing from Don the Fat Bee Man.  He's a truly amazing and helpful resource.

I've been reading through this forum and there sure seem to be a lot of very knowledgeable and friendly people of all levels of experience here.

I would love to get in touch with other folks here in SE Michigan who keep small cell bees.

We just moved to the country from the suburbs and, along with bees, are starting an organic garden and building a coop for chickens this spring.  We're planning someday to live off the grid in as sustainable way as possible.

Michael Mantas

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Hello from SE Michigan
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 02:36:32 pm »
Welcome to the forums. I am sure you will meet lots of new friends here. Don comes into chat and answers any questions that people have. He will be on next saturday evening around 9pm eastern. here is a link on how to download and set up the chat program where you can listen in and be part of the crowd. Hope you try it out, for I am sure you will enjoy it.   http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=5880.0

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:15:14 am »
Michael, welcome to our forum. That is so nice that your Wife and two children are going into this fascinating field.  You will love to keep bees, and you will soon be under their spell, that is not a word of exaggeration.  Enjoy your time here, ask any question, you will always have wonderful answers.  We have all levels of beekeeping skill here, and we are all important parts of this place in time.  Have a wonderful and great day, enjoy and love our earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 07:44:47 pm »
Welcome to beemaster! Don is truly a cool cat. Try the ventillo if you can, he loves to answer questions, the more difficult the better, lol. I think it is terrific that your entire family is interested in bekeeping. Wish I was exposed to it at your little ones age. They are very fortunate to start so early, and you know kids are like sponges, so they should learn quickly. Best of luck to you guys.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Mantas

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:10:48 pm »
JP, pdmattox and Cindi....

Thanks for the warm welcome.

There's so much to learn, and it's been so much fun already..and bee people are incredibly friendly, welcoming, helpful and generous.

I've already reserved two nucs of small cells with Don.  Time to build my hives!

The kids are both scared and fscinated by the prospect of keeping bees.

Michael

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:28:36 am »
Michael, you're welcome.  You won't believe how quickly any fears of your young ones will disappear, once the love of the honeybee and its spell begin, you ain't seen nothin' yet.  Have an awesome and wonderful day, love this life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:38:48 am »
>I would love to get in touch with other folks here in SE Michigan who keep small cell bees.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Organicbeekeepers/

You might find some in the organic group.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything