Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey War - The new beekeeping board game!  (Read 41684 times)

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Honey War - The new beekeeping board game!
« on: July 17, 2005, 04:48:03 pm »
Hi!

After weeks of prototyping, testing and tuning, I've finally finnished my beekeeping board game progject, HONEY WAR!!  It is free and can be made with a pair of scissors, a glue stick and a color printer.  Read more about the game on the
Honey War home page

Have fun!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:28:55 pm by eivindm »

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 07:07:43 pm »
Looks pretty cool

Could a online version be made?
play against the computer or another player?
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 11:08:49 am »
Quote from: BigRog

Could a online version be made?
play against the computer or another player?

It would be possible, but board games are more fun as real board games.  I think a computer game would be better if you designed it as that right from the beginning.  Maybe I will try that some day :-)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 01:46:07 am »
When my kids saw the saved file we printed it out on card stock for them and they had a BLAST.  Stll are!  I haven't had time to play it yet and since school started this past Friday our time will be maximized.  I can't think of a better way than a game that they want me to play with them.  Take care and thanks!  It's the one game they haven't argued over one bit!    David :D
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 12:28:14 pm »
Hi David!

Thanks for the kind respons!  It is very cool if you try the game, and even better if you like it :-) I will be very glad for any feedback of what you and your kids think.

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 12:45:57 pm »
This is what you call genius. An excellent way to teach kids about bees!
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 01:01:08 am »
eivindm!
                                              :wink:    :D     :o
    Well we're on our sixth printing, having worn out the other five sets.  To be honest I haven't looked at it with a critical eye, we're just enjoying it.  My three youngsters are now minor owners of a Russian hive each.  My son and I now scramble for the months' issue of ABJ and Bee Culture to see who reads it first.  But anyway, thanks it is the most played game in the house.      :lol:  

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 04:23:15 am »
Thanks again, Summerbee and David, for your kind words!  I'm really happy someone enjoys it! :-)  It took me a long time to create, and it is real fun to see that someone other than me actually  plays it! :-)

Offline Ginger Bush

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 05:10:32 pm »
How neat!!

I just found your thread and downloaded the files. Great game, I hope to make and play it soon.
A lie travels halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.

Winston Churchill, et all

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Re: Honey War - The new beekeeping board game!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 12:29:46 pm »
If I take the time I can come up with a flash game. But With school and other things It would be Hard for me to learn how to make a game cause I only know how to make Small movies with my flash program.

Ill be sure to keep you updated if I DO make it. :-D
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 05:58:44 pm »
Great Idea keep going
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 05:25:43 pm »
Yesterday I received a mail from a guy at BoardGameGeek that asked for permission to use graphics from my game at their site.  The game now has its own page at BoardGameGeek.  Pretty cool!

A while ago I also received an improved version of my manual from a guy from Canada who had played it with his friends.  He allowed me to use it, and thus the game has an improved manual.  My vocabulary is quite limited when it comes to board games, so this help was most appreciated :-)

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 08:42:31 am »
Here is a 10 minute podcast with a review of Honey War:

http://printandplay.blogspot.com/2008/08/episode-056-honey-war.html

I'm pretty satisfied with the comments too :-)

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 08:05:43 pm »
elvindm,

great idea! I am downloading it now as we are big on board games at our house......plus we have an A3 laminator at work  ;)
It's great to see someone thinking outside the box when it comes to educating people about bees and beekeeping - and in a fun way too.
Great stuff.

ML

Offline neurobee

• New Bee
    • To Bee in the Heights
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 11:17:14 pm »
This looks cool. I've often thought that a beekeeping game/app would do really well. I'll have to print this out for my wife and kids.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 04:53:24 am »
Cool!  I'd appreciate any comments when you have tried it :-)

Offline sunnyside

• New Bee
    • My beekeeping blog!
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 02:31:19 pm »
Eivindm!!

This is great!!!  Wish I would have found this last year when my second grader did a whole lesson on bees.  The class would have loved this!  Right now my kids are enjoying it!  Have to find someone with a laminator though, have a feeling this will get worn out pretty quickly...Thank you!! (Especially since this is the week before school starts back up and I am grasping at straws to keep them entertained and not killing each other!! LOL!)

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 03:05:05 pm »
Thanks a lot for the very kind words! It is very nice to hear that you enjoyed it!

Offline boca

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 03:16:55 pm »
Does the wold WAR raise any negative feeling in Amerika (or even Europe); or it means only fun, joy and prosperity? If it still does it will not for the next generation.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 03:21:54 pm »
 I made the title, but live in Norway. I guess you hit the wrong country with your comment. It is a printout game. You are free to rename the title on your own copy to Honey Tycoon or whatever suits you :-)

anything