Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Intercepted By Swarm Trap  (Read 9955 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Swarm Intercepted By Swarm Trap
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 11:07:39 am »
I can't keep them all, I just don't have the time to keep up with so many. I give some to friends and also help some people get set up with beekeeping. Most are people who have had bees living in their houses and have become fascinated with them.

Next Saturday, I will be removing a hive for a fellow who wants to start up.

My friend Bailey in Raceland, a member on the forums here, has been growing his apiary for the past two years.

He is more than happy to take swarms off my hands.

Jimmy from Franklinton, Louisiana has also been the recipient of some bees I caught.

I have a friend Jay, who is strictly a beekeeper, he gets swarms and cut outs as well.

Now this year, I am building up my colonies as I lost quite a few this winter for a variety of reasons. I like to stay at or around the fifty mark.

Today I am moving three hives to our property in Mississippi!

My wife has been showing real interest in becoming a beek. She will really be helping out with these hives as she can get away more often then I can, this time of year.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 04:13:46 pm »
I think thats great that you give them to people and help so many people get started with bees, that is an awesome thing to do.
Making the world a better place one bee at a time.  :)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 11:41:32 pm »
JP I think that is so very exciting about your wife getting into the bees. Now you will have another wonderful thing to share with her. I wish my husband would show some interest. He just lets me do my thing (thank G-D), but doesn't want any part of it.

I took him up there once to help me and he kept asking me if he could leave now. That was the last time I ever asked him for help. Wonderful guy otherwise.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 01:32:12 am »
I agree, it will be great for you two to have this in common.
I am the one that brought up the idea of beekeeping and I read all the books, ordered the equipment and all that stuff but my husband went to beekeeping classes with me.
He is more of the hands on type for learning so I pretty much have to learn everything I can and then show him.
He wants to leave all the decisions up to me as far as how we approach things because he knows that I know more than him right now but he is happy to be involved.
Annette, maybe he will come around and be more interested someday, especially as you become more deeply involved in it, he may decide he wants to be a part of that.
You never know  ;)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 11:57:31 pm »
Well Natalie

Knowing my hubby, it will never happen. The bees would have to lay golden eggs for him to be interested. He just sees this as money going down the drain, but he has been supportive otherwise and he listens to all my stories of the bees.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 12:08:14 am »
Annette, does he like honey? Have y'all been able to harvest any from your hives?

If he's supportive otherwise then do your thing girl. I'm sure there are things he does that don't make much sense to you either, but the key is to find that happy ground.

As Cindi would say, you are under the spell of the honeybee and you will keep on keeping bees.

Just he wait until the honey money rolls on in, he will most likely want more hives at that point.

My wife has really been liking the honey money as of late, just today she said, I want 100 hives on our land in Mississippi.

My friend Bailey's wife just the other day told him "we need more hives."

And to think both of our wives thought it quite strange to keep bees!

Hang in there Annette, I have faith he'll come around.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 12:15:09 am »
 :rainbowflower: :rainbowflower: Gonna be bright, bright sun shiny days

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 12:17:50 am »
Oh Mannn, JP!
 I never saw the coffin post before!.That was sooo creepy!.But, Its the coolest place Ive ever seen for bees to be!
Did you have to move the coffin too? Were the relatives there watching you get the bees? Was it kinda creepy?
Here in a mausoleum full of deads a few years ago, one of the vaults was found leaking some kind of goo.Appparently, body fluids started coming out of the body and out of the coffin all over the place, stinking...Blech!...anyways, a funeral parlor got sued over this mess!
 You really ARE the King, you know! Sure is good you get all these cool pictures! Especially the one with you and the coffin! I bet you were crackin up, were'nt you? :-D
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 12:28:17 am »
John, I did not have to move the casket, just the bees. Moving the casket would have been extra! :-D

I don't personally care for cemeteries nor mausoleums. I am a fan of cremation. I told my wife, mix some of my ashes in with some pine needles or burlap in my smoker, the rest disperse on our land.

What's creepy about mausoleums is the decaying dead bodies that always attract hoards of disgusting roaches and flies, this one was no different.

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 12:37:22 am »
Yes, cremation is for me to and I have told numerous people including my hubby . I feel very strong about this point.

anything