Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: removing bees from a tree 1 mile away  (Read 2768 times)

Offline chad

• New Bee
removing bees from a tree 1 mile away
« on: May 03, 2009, 01:28:46 pm »
Hi , I'm getting ready to do a cut out on a tree.the tree has been cut , so its only about 10 foot tall.the bees entrance is about 2 foot off the ground.I drilled some holes to see how high the comb goes inside.From what I can tell it goes about 6 foot up inside.My plan is to just cut the top 4 foot off,then cut it open.the tree is about 1 1/2 miles from my house and my bee yard.Once I move them to my place what should I do to keep them there?Thanks -Chad

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: removing bees from a tree 1 mile away
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 01:34:19 pm »
I've always thought a feral colony in a tree trunk would be so neat to have in the back yard. Why not cut out the section of trunk with the bees in it and just stand it up in your yard?

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 01:38:55 pm »
Some states don't allow log hives. doak :)

Offline chad

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 03:06:21 pm »
one thing is the bees go all the way to the bottom of the tree trunk.(bee holes at the base of tree have bees crawling out)it would be a 6 foot section of tree to move,and its too big to put your arms around.also in florida they wont allow it.

Offline patook

• House Bee
    • Brother Bee Apiary
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 04:38:22 pm »
1 mile might be too close. Bees may return to the original spot loaded with pollen and nectar.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 04:54:08 pm »
I just did a cut out of a tree.
1. See which way the comb is running byt cutting till you hit the top of the comb..2 inches at a time.
2. Find the bottom of the comb if the tree is laying down...If still standing attach ropes to lower it as you cut it loose. Be sure to have anyone not wearing protection either ready to bail or will to take a few stings cause if you drop it hard they will be mad! Mine had been cut already and was chained and hauled 1/4 by tractor by the owner of the property, and they still stayed.
3. CAREFULLY cut longways trying to go between the comb but not deep..better to recut then to chop a few hundred bee's. Onece you get one side cut, slowly roll it over 180 degree's.
4. Cut 9/10 of the entire lenght so it does'nt side apart crushing all our girls.
5. Use a wedge to crack the last part with the saw cuts on the sides, or if very brave( or stupid like me) have the cut on top and let it fall apart exposing 50,000 angry insects to every exposed part of your body.
6. Use a very sharp kitchen knife to cut each peice so it will fit the frames, I use medium thick rubber bands to hold it in place.

I've found for most hives I need at least 20  Empty Deep frames on hand, just in case..and 10-20 med or small frames for honey.
The hive mentioned was checked 2 days ago...10 days after installed and I had to put a 3rd deep on it!!!! This colony is the most productive hive I've EVER seen. They attached all comb, filled 2 deep frames and filled the 2 deeps to the max. They are also the calmest bees I've ever seen, when I went to check them they did'nt even bump me, even after I pulled 10 frames to change a deep which was not mine.

The one mile issue is another thing. you will need to find a place to set them till they reorient 3 miles away. Then take them home later.
Have a sprayer with sugar water and a bucket of water to rinse tools and hands, cause your going to be covered with honey...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:37:56 pm by EasternShore »
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Tom Cannon

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 05:24:56 pm »
Sounds like alot of fun and a all day project :-D

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 05:59:25 pm »
Here's one we did Apr. 22. The first post I posted under the photos has a link to the photos of the cut out.

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=493
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 07:05:20 pm »
Some states don't allow log hives. doak :)

someone better tell the bees.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 07:45:58 pm »
iddee
GREAT PICTURES!!!
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 10:12:20 pm »
Why don't state allow log hive, skeps etc.?

Offline chad

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 11:02:03 pm »
cant inspect for disease.My bigest queston is how to get the bees to stay,because of the close proximity.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 11:13:48 pm »
Find a place about 5 miles away and leave them there for about 3 to 4 weeks.
Bring them back to where you want them. doak :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 11:55:44 pm »
Don't worry about them going back. If any go back, it will only be the oldest field bees, and it won't hurt the hive as a whole. It won't be any more, and probably not as many, as you will kill making the transfer. Just go ahead and do the cut out, you have more to worry about with it than a few old timers getting lost and going back.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline patook

• House Bee
    • Brother Bee Apiary
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 01:01:04 am »
Bah, age discrimination against us oldtimers  :-P