Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: warm spell  (Read 2259 times)

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
warm spell
« on: December 27, 2005, 11:09:52 pm »
its warm here in texas and a couple of my hives could use some feeding....is it unwise to feed this time of year?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: warm spell
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 12:58:16 am »
Quote from: filmmlif
its warm here in texas and a couple of my hives could use some feeding....is it unwise to feed this time of year?

It is unwise. It starts brooding. Many in England feed at winter but I cannot understand why. In Australia they have examined if it is possible to feed at winter so hives are strong when first yield starts. They found tah bees got sick: nosema and chalkbrood.

Here in north bees gather honey at summer, feed winter food during one week and then sleep all winter over.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 06:34:09 am »
Quote from: filmmlif

Just curious.  What makes you believe that there is a need to feed the bees?  Did you open the hives and actually see that all the stored honey is gone?

It's important for your bees that you understand hive conditions.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 07:37:07 am »
Quote from: Jack Parr
Did you open the hives and actually see ..

Just so.

I weigh with hand how heavy hive is.  If hive is light I open hive and look if I see capped  food. But 6 months hives are in peace. I do nothing from September to beginning of  March.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
warm spell
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 02:42:34 pm »
It really depends on where you are in Texas.  I'm east of Dallas.  We'll have spring in 6-8 weeks if it ever rains.  I started feeding light syrup on 01 Jan.  That's a 2 weeks or so earlier than normal, but we have had 80 degree temps for the last 2-3 weeks with no end in sight.  The bees are going through stores in a hurry.  I decided to feed for brood production early instead of feeding for stores.  I hope to get some early splits that way.  If you are in the panhandle, I would probably feed heavy syrup for stores if the hives are light.  If you are Dallas or further south, you can go either way depending on what you want to accomplish.  Our flow is so short here, if you don't build the bees up early, you pretty well miss it.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain