Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New rookie to the hobby from Charleston, SC  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Jim Strohm

• Brood
New rookie to the hobby from Charleston, SC
« on: March 30, 2011, 01:13:16 pm »
Hi to all;

Brand new to this, have been interested for a while.  My plans are to study (listen, ask questions, read, and meet) and gather supplies for this year.  Next spring I believe I will be ready to get started with my first bunch of bees.

I want my grandson (age 8) and myself to learn about the hobby with our local community of beekeepers.  I have so many questions now I don't know where to start, but soon I will start slowly asking as I research topics.  I hope to connect with local beekeepers and maybe volunteer to be "helpers" for any hive events they need assistance with.

Thanks in advance for this forum and all of the interesting posts I have already seen.  I wonder if there is a forum aimed at "rookies" like me.  I go to some of the forums and I am lost almost immediately with terms, and advanced experiences.  Hopefully, I can be a quick study but there is tons for me to learn.

Jim Strohm in Charleston
Jim Strohm,
Retired and loving it!!

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: New rookie to the hobby from Charleston, SC
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 01:54:40 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 02:36:52 pm »

I wonder if there is a forum aimed at "rookies" like me. 

Jim Strohm in Charleston

Yup, and you are at it  :-D

I'm still one myself-April will be my first year anniversary with bees and this is where I turn to for information.  I found the site after watching the Beemaster's method of installing a package on Youtube. There are several other beekeeping sites out there, but this one has to be the best. We have our squabbles, but for the most part we are a peace loving bunch. Welcome and go buy yourself some bees.

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:27:05 pm »
Jim I wish I was at home I would have you stop by.  I went to high school in Summerville and miss my palmettos.  I did the same thing you are a few years back and just starting my 2nd year myself.  I think if I had any advice is come back and read consistently but then you know how you learn.  Good luck with your venture it was worth every minute.  Welcome
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 05:25:37 pm »

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:48:53 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 02:37:12 am »
I started beekeeping in 2006 all by myself and got into some tight spots where I did not know what I was doing. Well I found this forum just in time and got all the help I needed and right away also.

People here will walk you through any situations you come upon.

Good luck with your new hobby.

Annette

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:12:41 am »
My plans are to study (listen, ask questions, read, and meet) and gather supplies for this year.  Next spring I believe I will be ready to get started with my first bunch of bees.
Sounds like a good plan. Be sure to check out the tutorials on the main Beemaster page ("Backyard Beekeeping Course"). I also recommend getting involved with a local beekeeping club. Clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes, and are great places to find mentors and get connected to nearby beekeepers:
http://www.scstatebeekeepers.org/index_files/Page549.htm

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 08:50:19 am »
shoot no, buy a nuc or hive kit with bees and dive in.  its not hard with the help from these guys.  dont wait
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

anything