Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New from Alaska (Kenai Peninsula)  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Paraplegic Racehorse

• House Bee
  • Kilted beekeepers unite!
    • Me Blog
New from Alaska (Kenai Peninsula)
« on: December 11, 2006, 08:14:34 am »
I am a once-upon-a-time beekeeper's helper now starting own apiary. Planning to start small (first 12-15 hives this spring!) and rapidly grow up into a part-time business. I have loads of questions! The folks at Yahoo!:Northlandbeekepers have been very helpful so far, as has my experience in Washington State, twelve years stale though it is. I thought I might reach out to an international crowd for many of my questions, though.

See you on the appropriate boards for those!
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: New from Alaska (Kenai Peninsula)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 09:24:46 am »
Very Nice to Have You Aboard:

Welcome and thanks for filling out your member profile - it truly helps others know how better to help and learn from you. It has been cold here (relatively normal I guess) but it teases us by warming up every 5 or 6 days. It hit 55F yesterday and the bees were flying heavily.

Again, thanks for tuning in and glad to have you with us. Talk soon!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 10:43:35 pm »
I am a once-upon-a-time beekeeper's helper now starting own apiary. Planning to start small (first 12-15 hives this spring!) and rapidly grow up into a part-time business. I have loads of questions! The folks at Yahoo!:Northlandbeekepers have been very helpful so far, as has my experience in Washington State, twelve years stale though it is. I thought I might reach out to an international crowd for many of my questions, though.

See you on the appropriate boards for those!
In Alaska 12-15 hives would make you a major beekeeper.
Welcome to our humble chunk of internet space and please feel free to keep all that cold weather with you.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

• House Bee
    • Me Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 02:12:19 am »
Seward is not very cold at all. Most of the mid-west (OH, IL, etc) get significantly colder. We rarely see ambiant temps much colder than +20F, in Seward, and usually hovers near freezing +/- 5F. Then again, being a coastal town, wind chill frequently drops that to -20F or lower.

Thanks for the "warm" welcome!  8-)
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:52:00 am »
Ahhh ALASKA, I really hope to do a cruise there one day, when Im old and decrepit. I just really wamma see those lakes and nothern lights.

• House Bee
    • Me Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 04:39:40 am »
If you want to see lakes, come in summer. If you want the Lights, come in winter -- they're very difficult to see while the sun is up. ;)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 09:52:34 am »
Welcome to the forum and good luck
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon