Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeder Questions  (Read 4536 times)

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
Feeder Questions
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:54:10 pm »
First, I have already recieved a lot of help and I want to acknowledge that and I want yall to know that I appreciate every single bit of it.

Ok, I've been thinking on how I am going to feed the bees in a Top Bar Hive. I have an idea but I want to throw it at yall first. I was thinking of putting my entrance at one end of the hive. What if I built a covered feeder for the other end? Would this be bad beehavior (<---new word-its mine!) for the bees to travel to the other end of the hive to eat?

I could make it to where I could walk up and take the box off the end and replace the feeder jar when needed. When not needed I could put a little blocker there so that the bees could not wander into the feeder box and possible set up camp.

Good idea? Bad idea? ¿Que?     :mrgreen:
Wine Maker
Gardener
BBQ Competition Enthusiast
Interested in Hot Peppers
Texas Apiary Inspection Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Feeder Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:59:56 pm »
You can put the feeder at the other end.  They will most likely find it.  I don't have a feeder for the KTBH, I have a solid bottom and I just pour some syrup on the bottom.  But if I had time, I'd probably build a frame feeder.  With my TTBH, I just use a regular medium depth frame feeder as my hives are the dimensions to take regular medium frames.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:05:07 pm »
You can put the feeder at the other end.  They will most likely find it.  I don't have a feeder for the KTBH, I have a solid bottom and I just pour some syrup on the bottom.  But if I had time, I'd probably build a frame feeder.  With my TTBH, I just use a regular medium depth frame feeder as my hives are the dimensions to take regular medium frames.

Michael, Thank You so much for your time. I have viewed your site and it is a good source for me. I appreciate that. Here are some images of what I have done. I have decided to sacrafice 4 inches inside the box and put my feeder in there. I am thinking that I can raise the feeders to where the top of the jars sit at the top level so they are easier to grab. That also leaves the possibility of a passage under them that can be used as an entrance. I dunno, I have not nailed any of it (the feeder part) together. I am still trying to do what is best for the bees. I imagine that there will be some trial and error on my part. Yall, however, have done a lot of the learning for us and I apprciate being able to tap into that knowledge. I dont think I can say that enough.

I found out that my Grandfather was a beekeeper yesterday but I never got to know him. Thats to bad for me, I would have liked for that knowledge to have been passed down.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:40:00 pm by mjdtexan »
Wine Maker
Gardener
BBQ Competition Enthusiast
Interested in Hot Peppers
Texas Apiary Inspection Service

Offline DavesBees

• House Bee
    • Dave's Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 12:13:56 pm »
You can also use the kiss method and just use a baggie feeder.  Cheep, easy, and disposable.
Dave - PM me if you are interseted in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.
http://www.davesbees.com

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 12:14:03 pm »
I do the feeding similar to what you are thinking.  I have a 'follower' board (similar to what you have pictured), with a notch cut out at the bottom to fit a boardman feeder (usually placed at the entrance).

I did the baggie method for a while, but it became more difficult once the bees had filled up most of the bars.  So, I just feed from the 'back' of the TBH.