Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OS compatability  (Read 2654 times)

Offline wayne

• House Bee
OS compatability
« on: March 09, 2007, 06:01:17 pm »
  I now run Win 98 on my old clunker. If I get a new one how can I transfer my files that were done on this one? How many generations back will a program read?
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: OS compatability
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 06:56:38 pm »
I assume they are not both on the same network.  If this is the case, I find the USB flash drive to be the easiest.   I use it all the time to transfer files from work to home.  I don't know what I did for all those years without it.  Watch the weekend sales flyers, there is usually someone offering a deal on them (bestbuy, circuit city, office max, staples, etc.)

In a pinch, I have emailed files to myself (send the email from the old computer and then open the email on the new computer)

If your talking about files such as word documents, the OS level doesn't matter, it is the application level that counts.  Most apps continue to support older levels.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 01:32:29 am »
If your version of win98 has proper usb support you can use a usb stick like robo mentioned or a external usb drive if you have gigs of stuff you want to save. If you put the computer on a home network you can share the drive and copy / transfer the files that way.

If you have access to a ftp server with a lot of space you could upload them that way but it will probably take a while.

If not get a something like a gmail account and email yourself like Robo said.

Most of your files you can move and read if you have a acceptable program on the new computer. You will not be able to move the programs.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 02:14:38 am »
Sneekernetting it or the ftp option are both very good.  You could set up the computer you want to send the stuff to as a sftp server and just send it directly.

(SFTP stands for Secure File Transfer Protocol)