Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Colony Absconded  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Colony Absconded
« on: October 01, 2006, 03:31:44 pm »
A strange thing happened with one of my hives in the squash field.  All the bees left.  I checked them the first week of September and they were running strong, lots of young brood and a good sized population, although I did see some dead brood being cleaned out in a couple frames.  Three and a half weeks later I check the hives -- and this one is empty.  No dead bees to speak of, no brood, no honey and hardly any pollen to speak of.  Just like they packed everything up and left.  Kinda sad, though, because this was the first hive I started in 2004; last year it was my biggest producer, and this year it produced 20% of my crop.

-- Kris

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Colony Absconded
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 03:39:40 pm »
They don't usually abscond without a reason.  Being constantly harrased by some pest is a common cause.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
abscond
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 09:41:54 pm »
I've had bees abscond here in L A 6 or 7 times it is always ANTS.I'm very careful when I feed and make sure I don"t spill.I had ants clean out a whole medium full of honey and brood .I've learned the time of year ants are the worst around here and I stay on my toes .I've learned to pay attention I first just dismissed ants as ants and took them lightly.I don't
anymore.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Colony Absconded
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 08:54:58 am »
Where there any chewed up combs?  That might signify robbing.

-rick
Rick