Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pexiglass hive body?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Delmer

• House Bee
  • Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts
Pexiglass hive body?
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:42:45 pm »
Since its so dag gone cold outside and I have no idea how things are going in my hive... I'm just wondering if anyone has ever made a hive body entirely of plexiglass?  It looks like you can get it up to 1" thick.  I think it would make a pretty cool observation hive.  Biggest drawbacks I see are  a) typically its dark in a hive and this would be bright all day and b) I have no idea if it has the same insulating qualities of wood. too hot in the summer and not enough insulation properties in the winter.

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Re: Pexiglass hive body?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:18:01 pm »
It would work but you would need to make some kind of cover or curtain to block most of the light because:
A. bees would start to build propalis to block out too much light.
B. sunlight in the summer would melt the wax.
insulation wouldn't really be a factor but condensation might

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:26:32 pm »
I have a deep that I use for school presentations, but would never consider using it for real.  Too many issues to deal with.
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/frames-and-frame-assembly/
You'd be better off to put a window in a wooden box like they do with some TBH.   Be forewarned though, it won't help much because the cluster will be buried in the middle frames out of sight.   There is a reason observation hives are only one frame wide :-P
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:50:47 pm »
I have built them with Plexiglass sides and an insert to close them.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesobservationhives.htm#pictures

But it works best with foundationless or the foundation blocks your view anyway.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Delmer

• House Bee
  • Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:15:11 pm »
Good points-  thanks-  I guess I was just trying to figure out a way to peer inside without disturbing them this winter.  I guess I'll just sit tight and wait for a warm day.

Offline Paraplegic Racehorse

• House Bee
  • Kilted beekeepers unite!
    • Me Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:53:55 pm »
Build your boxes with plexi or lexan!

Just put a second set of boxes surrounding them - along same idea as the "lifts" of the WBC or CDB hives. Should solve most of the heat and light issues, anyway.
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.

anything