Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Inspected to raise queen bees  (Read 2300 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
Inspected to raise queen bees
« on: May 24, 2012, 11:26:31 am »
Hey guys , some  fyou know I just got two queen bees yesterday and got them in there hive. I ws going to throw away the priority mail package and I notices that they had a sticker that said they had been inspected and the brood con tai no contagious bees.

does everyone need to be inspected to ship queens?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Inspected to raise queen bees
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 02:23:43 am »
Most states require an inspection certificate.  Only a few don't.  Some require even more paperwork...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 08:46:46 am »
Michael is there a resource that shows who requires what? or is it just state by state?

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 08:04:25 pm »
Here in Pa your hives are to be registered and the state attempts to inspect your hives 1 time in 2 years.  Then to sell queens or nucs there is another form to fill out and your apiaries will be inspected 2 times a year.  That is , i believe, only to sell within the state and does not include shipping bees.  The forms for selling bees are, for some reason, not to be found anywhere :?.  So you have to call or email to get them to send the form out to you.

As of now, I don't think PA has any inspectors for regular beekeeper inspections.  The State web site still says  "2012 Inspector not yet available"...Soooo who knows what the inspection program in PA will be this year.   Seems there is not enough money to work out an inspection program :roll:.....Maybe they could get some of those state road crews to inspect hives on their break time....seems there is plenty of that going on.

Jim

Anyway to ship out of state there are inspections that must be done to allow your bees into the recieving state.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:17:36 pm »
Here in Pa your hives are to be registered and the state attempts to inspect your hives 1 time in 2 years.  Then to sell queens or nucs there is another form to fill out and your apiaries will be inspected 2 times a year.  That is , i believe, only to sell within the state and does not include shipping bees.  The forms for selling bees are, for some reason, not to be found anywhere :?.  So you have to call or email to get them to send the form out to you.

As of now, I don't think PA has any inspectors for regular beekeeper inspections.  The State web site still says  "2012 Inspector not yet available"...Soooo who knows what the inspection program in PA will be this year.   Seems there is not enough money to work out an inspection program :roll:.....Maybe they could get some of those state road crews to inspect hives on their break time....seems there is plenty of that going on.

Jim

Anyway to ship out of state there are inspections that must be done to allow your bees into the recieving state.

So i understand most of that ,but are you saying forms need to be filled out for every state that you are going to sell queens in?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 11:11:04 pm »
>Michael is there a resource that shows who requires what? or is it just state by state?

Not that I know of.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 12:04:58 am »

So i understand most of that ,but are you saying forms need to be filled out for every state that you are going to sell queens in?

I do not know the answer to that. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 06:41:40 am »
Some states require you to register with the receiving state to sell bees in that state.
-------------------

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 09:26:14 am »
wow hardly seems worth it...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 09:01:19 am »
>wow hardly seems worth it...

Not for a small producer.  No.
-------------------

anything