Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello! from Kentucky  (Read 2363 times)

Offline SingingBees

• New Bee
    • Live and Learn
Hello! from Kentucky
« on: May 01, 2008, 09:33:12 am »
I'm another newbee...

I'm in north-central Kentucky, I have one new hive with happily (I hope) singing bees;  just installed them yesterday, and had a blast.  I was ready to do two more hives when I got done, LOL.

I've kept bees once before (for a short time), but this is the first time I've started from a package, and I figure the last batch didn't count, because I never got stung.  ;)

I read the Beemaster's site back then, but there were no videos or forum.  Wow, what great resources!  I have sat and watched various install videos on Youtube, too,   just to get my nerve up.  The kids watched them with me, and were shouting directions from a distance (6yo and 4yo:  "Did you get that piece of plywood off?"  "Is the queen in there?")   :)  My 11yo took pictures, which was great afterwards, because I was so nervous/focussed, I didn't remember a thing I'd done.

Anyway, hello!  And thank you for the wonderful information/community here.  For every question I've had so far, I've been able to find multiple answers here.  I hope I can participate and share with others;  seems like the more experiences I read about, the better prepared I'll be for things I wouldn't have expected.

Can I say a special thank you to Michael Bush?  I actually came across your site when researching CCD and small cell size, and ended up learning SO much there.  Helped me relax, too, and remember that there's more than one way to do things.  My idea of doing things "naturally" has always meant mainly using what I guess you'd call common sense, and I loved reading about your methods.  So even though I've started this hive "by the book", I know I'll be more confident to try new things - no, to let things work.   :)

Okay, I'm done!  Gotta go see if the bees are up...

Thanks again!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello! from Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:36:02 am »
SingingBees, welcome to our forum, again, well, it was not a forum when you visited many years ago.  So interesting how time changes things.  You are up to some cool stuff and I can bet you will have some wonderful experiences and tales to tell us.  We are a nosey crew (me especially) and love to hear what our forum friends are up to.  By the way, you will make some great friends here, it is the best place to spend time, quality time, and you can have any question that your heart desires answered.  Welcome, have that beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SingingBees

• New Bee
    • Live and Learn
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 10:57:18 am »
Thanks for the welcome, Cindi!   :)

I got to thinking (usually dangerous! :-D), and realized I may be wrong about there not being a forum then...hmm, could be I was just missing out all these years, right?

Have a great day!

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 11:14:41 am »
Hello and Welcome!

What an interesting name "SingingBees"!  Is that by any chance a reference to the play "The Honey Harvest" by Liz Fentress? I saw it performed in Kentucky last summer at the Heartland Apicultural Society conference. "Singing bees" is a thread that's woven throughout the plot.

I was able to meet many wonderful Kentucky beekeepers. In fact, the door prize I won was a hive assembled by the Blue Grass Beekeepers! If you aren't already connected with one of the local clubs, be sure to do so!
http://www.kyagr.com/statevet/bees/association/index.htm

Good Luck, and keep us posted on your adventures!

Offline SingingBees

• New Bee
    • Live and Learn
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:30:57 am »
Hi, indypartridge!  I hadn't heard of that play before.  Actually, the name sort of hit me as I was sitting there trying to think of a screen name, and the bees were in their package behind me, singing away.  At least, that's what it sounded like to me.   :)

Thanks for the link to the beekeepers association.  There was a link to a group not far from me, I had no idea there was one so close!