Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 4-Gallon Top Feeder  (Read 7307 times)

Offline MagicValley

• House Bee
  • We who are about to bee stung, Salute You!
    • Fresh Beef jerky, shipped anywhere.
4-Gallon Top Feeder
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:33:45 pm »
I have a 4 gallon top feeder that I have never used.  I'm going out of the country for 12 days starting October 2nd.  There isn't anyone else to fill the Boardman 1-quart feeder.  The bees are going through a quart of 1:1 sugar/water every 2-3 days now.

Since its getting cooler, I think the colony will need feeding while I'm gone, to make sure it survives the Idaho winter.

Are there any issues with a large top feeder?  This one has a mesh screen that is supposed to help keep them from drowning.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: 4-Gallon Top Feeder
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:39:25 pm »
As long as it does not leak out, I think you are ok.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:17:15 pm »
You might want to switch to 2:1 for winter storage.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:56:05 pm »
Curious if this is a Mann Lake Feeder?? If yes, I will suggest something.

Offline MagicValley

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 02:48:40 am »
Annette - Yes, it is a Man Lake.  In their catalog, it is FD-110

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:33:04 pm »
Be very careful. The bees go into a frenzy and push out the screen and get drowned in the sugar syrup. You have to duct tape the screen around on the bottom and then the feeder works great.

I will try and post a photo of what I mean

Here goes:

Offline MagicValley

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 10:14:53 am »
Annette - Thanks for the tip.  I think I'll try running a thick bead of silicone caulk along the edge of the screen to glue it to the plastic pan.  Duct tape will eventually fail when immersed.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:35:44 am »
I am not sure about that. Perhaps others can reply to this as  some glue's will give off an odor and that sugar syrup can get a bit warm in the sun. I usually keep glue away from bees.

Also you might want to remove that screen once in a while to clean out any bees that might have died in the frenzy and they are stuck in that screen. It has happened to me more than once.

The duct tape stays put in the sugar syrup, but I do redo it each season.

Offline MagicValley

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 05:09:33 pm »
Here is what I did to the top feeder.  I ran a line of clear silicone caulk along the bottom edge of the screen.  Then I used the awl to poke through the screen in 5 or 6 place and gently pull the screen into the silicone just a bit.  Now the screen is embedded in the caulk and cannot move from frantic bee pressure.

Offline MagicValley

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 05:16:19 pm »
Thanks Annette - I didn't see your comment until after I worked on the feeder.  Silicone is about as inert as can be, once its cured.  I think the bees won't mind.  I'll let it cure for 3-4 days before pitting it on the hive.

If, once a year,  the pressure washer won't destruct out the bee carcasses from under the screen, then I can remove the 3 screws along the top, and remove the screen completely.  The silicone will peel off the plastic pretty well.  Then after its cleaned up, I can put the screen back with duct tape and the screws.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 05:37:45 pm »
Looks great and sounds great. Have a wonderful vacation.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 11:27:04 pm »
Silicone is about as inert as can be, once its cured.  I think the bees won't mind.  I'll let it cure for 3-4 days before pitting it on the hive.

It'll be fine.  I have hive top feeders, no screen which are wooden and the seams sealed with silicone. 
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 01:02:26 am »
What happens if you give them 4 gallons of 1:1?    :evil:

Offline MagicValley

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 09:59:40 am »
>>>>
What happens if you give them 4 gallons of 1:1? 
<<<<

I think they call it a "kegger".  They all drink as much as they can, get stupid and start dancing the 6-legged can-can, like a long line of chorus girls.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 10:32:32 am »
 :lau:

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 11:54:26 am »
ditto the 2:1.  1:1 is good for spring.  you want 2:1 for winter storage.  even a little more than 2:1 is good in the north.  
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline MagicValley

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 01:42:02 pm »
When I put the top feeder on, where does the inner cover go?  Between the feeder and the top Deep?  Or on top of the feeder?

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 02:56:12 pm »
I wouldn't recommend putting it on top under the telescoping cover.  1) The bees can't get there and it's a great place for other bugs to live because of this.  I raised my cover last week to find 20 yellow jackets basking in the warmth rising up from the hive.  2)  I've found leaving the inner cover on doesn't do a thing for keeping out ants, probably for the same reason.  3)  It's an additional piece to have to move when you refill.  Makes the process slower and more cumbersome. 

I can't speak for putting it between the top deep and the feeder, though.  Others will have to chime in on this.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 12:42:01 am »
I do place it on top of the feeder and I do find ants sitting up there occasionally, but I don't have much problem with it on top of the feeder. We do not have SHB around here.

But I think you can leave it off and just place the telescoping cover right on top of the feeder since there aren't any bees that would have access to it to propolis it.