Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How far out does the pop sickle stick need to stick out for foundationless  (Read 25461 times)

Offline Tigerfansga

• New Bee
I am converting some frames to foundationless. I robbed some of my wife's craft sticks. When I put them in the grooves on my frames they only came out about 1/4in - barely the width of one row of comb cells if that. Is that out wide enough? Also, I put 3 sticks per frame, and was left with about an inch on each side without a pop sickle stick. Is that ok or do I need to fill the entire width of the frame? I will be putting these next to frames with drawn comb.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
1/4" will do fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Tigerfansga

• New Bee
Ok,

Apparently my wife's craft sticks are prone to shrinkage. After sitting overnight, I went back and looked at them, and they looked smaller than I remembered. To prove my point, I took my handy tape measure and measured. What was once 1/4" is now 1/16". This is just my first few frames, and I plan to put them next to drawn comb. Will this be enough? If I was doing a new application with no drawn comb, how much would I want - so I can go buy some non-shrinking craft stick  :-P.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
1/16" is on the small side.  I'd want at least 1/8" and preferably 1/4"...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Tigerfansga

• New Bee
Ok, I only did a few frames. I will get some new craft sticks. Since I glued those small ones in, I may not have a choice but to try them. I will be sure and put them in between frames of drawn comb and see how they do.

Thanks

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Try the Jumbo craft sticks.
-------------------

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
Keep all your sticks from your Dairy Queen visits, for they are about double in width to a regular pop sickle stick and work well with the wedge top board frames to give the size that Michael suggest.

Offline Tigerfansga

• New Bee
I think I would get awfully fat eating that many pop sickles.  :-D

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
You didnt put them in the dryer did ya? For some reason, my friggin clothes dryer keeps shrinking my jeans to where they wont fit any more.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
>Keep all your sticks from your Dairy Queen visit

Do you work at Dairy Queen?  That's a lot of Dilly bars...
-------------------

Offline Tigerfansga

• New Bee
That was what I was thinking. For about the price of 2 dilly bars, my wife got a 1000 ct box of jumbo craft sticks for me. They work perfect. Not to mention the medical cost for the impending diabetes.  :-D

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
That was what I was thinking. For about the price of 2 dilly bars, my wife got a 1000 ct box of jumbo craft sticks for me. They work perfect. Not to mention the medical cost for the impending diabetes.  :-D
Yea, but them sticks taste better with the ice cream on em. :-D

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
>Keep all your sticks from your Dairy Queen visit

Do you work at Dairy Queen?  That's a lot of Dilly bars...
No I do not but my daughter does so that is a help. ;)

Offline hendro

• New Bee
I was thinking about doing some foundationless honey comb this year too.  Should I dip the jumbo popscicle stickes in wax before placing them in the frame.  Would that help them get started faster?  Just wondering.

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
In my limited experience I did not find that coating the guide piece (popsicle stick) with wax helped to get the frame drawn more quickly.  What does work for me if to place the foundationless frames between other drawn frames, and placing odd pieces of extra burr comb in the frames using rubber bands. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
>Should I dip the jumbo popscicle stickes in wax before placing them in the frame.

No.

>  Would that help them get started faster?

No.  It will not stick as well as the bees will attach the comb and will make a weaker connection.

http://bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm
-------------------

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Or use paint stir sticks cut in half lengthwise, or to size.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Foxhound

• House Bee
    • Foxhound Bee Company
I used paint stir sticks from Lowe's, and didn't cut them in half lengthwise. I have only inspected the hive once since installing the bees.

On the first inspection, I noticed the bees were drawing comb from the side of the stick, rather then from bottom edge. Should I cut it out and reshape it?

First hive, so any suggestions would be great.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
How far off is it?  If the comb is off the thickness of the stick, no, I would not.  If the comb is off by half the width of the top bar, yes, I would cut it out and rubber band it back in the center.
-------------------

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee

I use paint stirring sticks cut in half, and then pieces cut to lenght to fill groove.  I put a couple of drops of hot glue in groove and then the stir stick.  So far working good.

Joe

anything