Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 7 Frame Boxes?  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Utah

• New Bee
7 Frame Boxes?
« on: February 13, 2009, 01:03:36 am »
I  built some 5 frame Nuc boxes last year that were 9 inches wide. They worked out fine but I quickly wished I had some boxes that were wider to hold a frame feeder and to stack two for expansion.

One that would hold 6 or 7 frames seemed better to really get a small split going for a longer time. When I went to purchase the 1x12 lumber, I decided to use the full width of the lumber as my width of my new boxes. The measurement is 11 1/4 inches wide and I think I cut the height to 10 inches tall. I also cut the lip to hold the frames another 3/16 deep to allow for space above the frames.

Anyway, I really like the size of these new home made boxes and it is simple to build. I use 5/8 plywood for the bottom and the top, no inner cover. The bottom is stapled on permanently, for my preference, and the top is a california type but with no inner cover. They can hold 7 frames with just a little play between the frames or they can hold 5 frames with a frame feeder. I waste less lumber and they seem lots more stable even if I add the second box on top. And they are not too wide to be so top heavy like my 5 frame nucs are.

With a california-type top, I think these would do well to over winter carni's stacked right next to each other with two of these sized boxes filled with honey and bees. Best of all, I think I can move them easier when I need to for pollenation and for wintering over.

What do you think?

Utah

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: 7 Frame Boxes?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:06:55 am »
You can use them for nucs if you want to but at 7 frames you're just 1 frame shy of an 8 frame box.  Or you can consider it a 5 frame nuc and use a double width frame feeder. 
Me, I just us them as regular hives.  If you're making your own stuff and can make as much as you want does it really matter that it's not standard?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:11:25 pm »
I think I'd just buy the eight frame boxes since it's already a standard and there are plenty of gadgets available for them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 03:55:44 pm »
I think I'd just buy the eight frame boxes since it's already a standard and there are plenty of gadgets available for them.

Use all standard boxes tops bottoms I go where one size mediums  (5 deep frames = 8 medium frames)

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)   

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Utah

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 09:34:37 pm »

Thanks for the replies. My problem was finding the smaller boxes or nuc's. I either have to order them in with expensive shipping or build some myself, which I don't have the tools for the dado joints.

So, I was built these because the lumber I am buying is exactly 11 1/4" wide and I can easily cut the rabbet joint. I was trying to do it less expensively with less waste. The only part I lose is the 1 inch strip I cut out of the main side board. Another reason I built these was I have stopped buying the expensive tops and bottoms. I have used the single 3/4" plywood for the tops with a small hole in the bottom box for better ventilation or another entrance. I also tacked on a cedar bottom to keep it more square and to minimize the rot I get with the other materials.

Anyway, I built several of these at 11 1/4" wide by 19 7/8" and they look pretty good to me. They hold either 6 or 7 frames each and it will save my back. I have three stacked and they do not seem top heavy, however, they are not filled with honey.

Thought I'd share for those who like to build their own but everyone is different...
Utah

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 01:40:00 am »

Thanks for the replies. My problem was finding the smaller boxes or nuc's. I either have to order them in with expensive shipping or build some myself, which I don't have the tools for the dado joints.

So, I was built these because the lumber I am buying is exactly 11 1/4" wide and I can easily cut the rabbet joint. I was trying to do it less expensively with less waste. The only part I lose is the 1 inch strip I cut out of the main side board. Another reason I built these was I have stopped buying the expensive tops and bottoms. I have used the single 3/4" plywood for the tops with a small hole in the bottom box for better ventilation or another entrance. I also tacked on a cedar bottom to keep it more square and to minimize the rot I get with the other materials.

Anyway, I built several of these at 11 1/4" wide by 19 7/8" and they look pretty good to me. They hold either 6 or 7 frames each and it will save my back. I have three stacked and they do not seem top heavy, however, they are not filled with honey.

Thought I'd share for those who like to build their own but everyone is different...

Give Western Bee a call, they are north of you in Poulson, MT.  They are easy to deal with, have the lowest prices on wooden ware, and for your area (or mine) have the cheapest shipping.  Buy their budget or 2nds boxes.  You get a few knots and once in a while a chipped or cracked board but you can save the price of shipping buying the cheaper boxes.  Also, if you buy in lots of 6 you get a break, if you buy 11 you get a bigger break, and so on.  Those bulk buying discounts can also pay for the shipping.
They will sell you any size you want: 5 frames nucs in deep or medium, 8 frames in 13 3/4, 13 7/8, 14 0, and 14 1/4, as well as 10 frame.  All 8 & 10 frames can be obtained in deeps, mediums (Illionis), shallows, and you can even get western sized supers  7 7/8.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything