Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is this AFB  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Bighead

• New Bee
Is this AFB
« on: July 11, 2009, 04:40:36 pm »
The 4 cells in the lower center of picture have odd brownish goo in them. Tell me I am wrong.
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/305/dscn1210o.jpg
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:23:00 pm by buzzbee »
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-- Thomas Paine

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
Re: Is this AFB
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 05:50:02 pm »
Take a pine needle or toothpick and stir up the "brown goo" then gently pull it out of the cell. Foul brood will cause a long nasty string of brown goo to come out with the stick. If this happens get someone knowledgable to inspect the hive to confirm. I see brown goo in a bunch of cells on that frame. Good luck!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:33:42 pm »
I could not get the pic to load for me but fish stix is telling you right, if you are not sure find some one that is, it can and will spread to your other hives. When the one hive gets weak others will start robbing it out and before you know it they are all sick.

I sure hope you don't have it

Good luck.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Bighead

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 07:43:49 am »
Sorry about the link not working i will try your advice thanks
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-- Thomas Paine

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:25:30 am »
This is what you need to do.

Photo from member - meroopt
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 09:05:13 am »
Another indication is the partially removed cap in the centre left of the pic. Some depressed caps also

Mick

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 02:33:42 pm »
Afb has a foul smell to it you do have some nice larva in the photo. but have a hive inspector look at it to be sure hope its not
AFB!
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 03:35:49 pm »
great pic robo.  thanks for digging it up.  i have only seen it once and fortunately, not in my hives!  the holes and depressed caps are a great giveaway the something bad is going on even before you do the ropey test.

seems there was a recent post (last month or two) on manging AFB? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 04:46:01 pm »
You may have some other problem in you hive as well (queen).  Many of the cells have multiple larvae and/or eggs in them. 

Do you have any other pictures of brood from that inspection?
Rick

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 04:05:29 am »
I have only now been able to download your picture.

There are some very suspect cells. Firstly the one that has been broken open and those with the brownish slurry in them. Looking closely I think that there are others that are heading that way. Definitely get it tested asap.

My understanding is that AFB is a disease of the brood not of the adult bee but is carried in the honey.

Some of the advice is to destroy the bees the hive and all the gear.

Kathy, the post was one that I put on as I got it in one of my hives and contrary to advice shook my hive down after destroying all brood and comb. I had all my gear irradiated and the hive in new gear is going well although with greatly reduced numbers as they rebuild. I have seen no evidence of it in my other hives

If you do a search on my posts you should find it. If you have trouble I will locate them for you.

Google it and you will find quite a bit on it

Mick

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 04:37:37 am »
Found the links you will be interested in

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,22657.msg174456.html#msg174456
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,17215.0.html

Hope these help

Mick

PS The hive that I shook 6 weeks ago is going well

Offline Bighead

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 09:33:34 pm »
I had the inspector out yesterday and he confirmed that it is AFB, and the bees have to be destroyed. I guess I am just lucky? First hive.
-- Thomas Paine

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 10:37:40 pm »
I am so sorry - hard to lose your bees - especially your first hive.   :'(

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 04:04:50 am »
Hey Bighead that is sure unlucky but dont give up hope.

I suppose one of the main questions that has to be asked is how it got to be in your hive. To my understanding AFB is a disease of the brood, not of the adult bee but the spores of it are long living and can be carried by the bee, the equipment and/or honey. If it is new equipment then that is really unfortunate. It would also be worthwhile to know if it may have been imported with your nuc or package/swarm or cutout.

Has the inspector instructed you to burn your hive, frames and honey?

When I got it in one of my  hives I "shook" my hive into new box and frames and had all my gear irradiated (including handling gear, smoker hive tool, gloves etc) to destroy the spores. The hive is now going well and is rebuilding.

This has to be an unlucky experience for you. I do hope you can rebuild.

Mick

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 05:44:15 pm »
very sad to hear and I feel sorry for you. Was this your only hive?

When I was younger a old beek was retiring, I was going to buy his hives, about 30 of them. Went to inspect them and were full of AFB. He burned every hive he had and all of his wooden ware, what a way to go out of business.

Good luck on getting things straightened out.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Bighead

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 07:26:47 pm »
Yea, the inspector is going to take care of the infected equipment. As far as how I was infected. I think it was a frame of comb from a  life long beekeeper "friend", all other equipment was new and the package came from an inspected keeper. The  life long beekeeper was going to help me out with the frame.
-- Thomas Paine

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 07:30:38 pm »
he may not have know he was infected.  early, it's hard to spot.  it infects the brood, so if you start with just a few cells infected, you won't notice.  you should let the other beekeeper know.  it may not have come from him, so be gentle...he was trying to help you.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 01:38:49 pm »
Sorry for your loss :'(
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!