Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Callibrating a refractometer  (Read 2385 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Callibrating a refractometer
« on: October 15, 2008, 05:52:20 pm »
My friend gave me his refractometer to test a couple of batches of uncapped honey but it needs to be callibrated first.  I placed the test liquid on and turned the adjusting screw to get the line down to the proper percent but it stopped one percentage point too high and the screw is down as for as it will go.  Any ideas what I may have done wrong?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline BenC

• House Bee
Re: Callibrating a refractometer
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 08:50:47 pm »
Did you wait at least 30 seconds from adding the 2-3 drops until taking the reading?

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 06:08:16 pm »
Did you wait at least 30 seconds from adding the 2-3 drops until taking the reading?

Yes, thank you.  Any other thoughts any one?  Maybe a defective refractometer?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 11:35:32 pm »
If you use water the setting should be zero.  If possible with your model of refractometer place a drop of water on the glass and calibrate to zero.  Other than that I think somebody dropped it and its off....permanately.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!