Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Keep Feeding??? Stop Feeding??? I'm Confused!  (Read 2246 times)

Moots

Keep Feeding??? Stop Feeding??? I'm Confused!
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:02:20 am »
Trying to learn, looking for pros and cons on all my options...

Got my 2 Nucs Mid January and started open feeding with a 1:1 mix.  Moved them to their hive boxes on February 8th and continued with the 1:1 mix via an internal feeder.  As I've documented in another thread, Bravo Hive has no interest in taking it.  I've kept offering it because I'm still feeding Alpha hive, so I've kept them in the rotation. (Bravo hive is a whole different story  :))

Alpha hive on the other hand is probably drinking it at the rate of a quart every two days, or very close to that rate.  Alpha seems to be booming and developing a lot quicker than Bravo.  I've running 8 frame medium equipment and have added a second box to Alpha.  So....things appear to be going great with it.

Here's my confusion, It seems like everything I had read and heard was in aggrement that once you start feeding them sugar syrup, you continue until they stop taking it, therefore, that was my plan.
However, I've read in a number of threads recently about problems with over feeding, when to stop feeding, etc. etc.

So, should I continue to feed, or not?  If so, for how long?  Till they stop taking it?   Or at some other point in time???

Any and all input appreciated.  :)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Keep Feeding??? Stop Feeding??? I'm Confused!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:15:59 am »
you should feed until a flow starts.  If you continue until they stop taking it chances are they will have backfilled the brood nest and swarm

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:31:39 am »
Moots my hives are bringing in nectar and filling now so I would suggest backing off feeding and let them hold their own as they know how to survive. Blackberries are blooming everywhere with almost everything else. Plenty out there to forage on now.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 12:38:43 pm »
verify you actually have a laying queen by checking for eggs and uncapped and capped brood.  If they don't you need to buy a queen and introduce it.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 01:12:04 pm »
you need to look in there and see if they need it. one reason for them to fail to build up could be that they have stored so much that there is no room for brood.  in that case, they will probably swarm...or may have already. 

some hives will suck it down.  some don't.  it's not always an indication of size or build up. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 06:40:09 pm »
The saying of feeding until they don't take it applies more in the fall when we are feeding to build up over-winter stores. In the spring, doing that will cause swarming at some point. With the equipment you are using, I myself might feed until they had two stories of boxes built out and covered with bees. Then I would stop feeding and add another box, checker boarding a couple of frames into it from the combs that are built below. This would give me a good solid start of a broodnest for them to build supers out above it.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:55:53 am »
Stop feeding moot.  Unless we get a freeze we have willow and clover right now as well as privet.
Keep feeding and she won't have room to lay !!!

There is food a plenty for now. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 01:36:00 pm »
Just want you guys and gals to know, I think y'all are the BEST!!!!!

I see how you all help us newbees out. Thanks

As a new soon to be beek I am so glad to know that y'all have my back and are here to help me succeed when I finally get my bees.

Thanks for being there.

Don't feel that can be said enough.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 08:41:29 pm »
Stop feeding moot.  Unless we get a freeze we have willow and clover right now as well as privet.
Keep feeding and she won't have room to lay !!!

There is food a plenty for now. 
Bailey

bailey what are the main nectar sources down there.  tulip poplar is probably the biggest producer here and it won't be in for a while.  we get clover, privet and sumac too.  i passed through southern la. a little over a week ago and saw some crimson clover that looked like it was almost done already.  do you guys have any summer flow down there?

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:25:59 pm »
We have an almost constant flow here. Always something blooming.  Main flow is tallo.  Clover and wild flowers
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 10:11:33 am »
I have seldom seen a hive stop taking syrup.  They almost always keep taking it until they backfill the brood nest and swarm...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Moots

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 10:52:31 am »
Thanks everyone for the great feedback...

I pulled the plug Saturday and ended the government subsidized food program for my bees  :-D

Upon inspection Saturday, it looked like they were doing exactly what everyone had warned of and storing a boatload of it, although, I think I put an end to the free buffet in time....We'll see!  :)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:19:26 am »
sounds like you need to be getting ready to add some supers.  when the big flow hits you'll be amazed at how fast they draw and fill comb.  don't get caught unprepared. 

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 11:20:14 pm »
Just want you guys and gals to know, I think y'all are the BEST!!!!!

I see how you all help us newbees out. Thanks

As a new soon to be beek I am so glad to know that y'all have my back and are here to help me succeed when I finally get my bees.

Thanks for being there.

Don't feel that can be said enough.

David

+1 , I wouldn't have enjoyed the success I've experienced without your input and patience.
Later,
Ray