Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Removal Question  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
Removal Question
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:43:01 pm »
I continue to get calls at least a few times a week to remove bees.  In many of the cases the bees just moved in recently.  So  I assume they are still swarming and setting up home.  I received a call today from a woman that now has two colonies in her house soffit about 20 feet apart. 

How late in the season is it reasonable to remove bees? 

I tempted to go ahead with this one but make it my last removal for the season.  Realistically the bees will be flying and I can feed through the end of October, however, in October there will be some days they are not flying as the weather turns cold.  Also we should have a fairly good alfalfa flow into mid September.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

John

Offline Judy in in

• New Bee
Re: Removal Question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:54:58 pm »
More like the homeowner is just now noticing. I've cut off my cut-outs for this year.

It depends on how much you're willing to do to keep them going. I'm feeding the honey back to mine, will wrap the hives, and am considering the terrarium heaters like Finski uses, just because I've got some really nice late cut-outs I want to survive. My farm is in a very windy area, so I'll be blocking the wind also.

You could always combine them with other colonies.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:52:50 pm »
If you do not believe they have ample time to rebuild and support themselves even with you feeding them, then its best to wait but...

If the homeowner cannot wait you can remove them now and give them a fighting chance.

You could if you need to: combine them or nuc them.

If they cannot wait, they will find someone else, if that is ok with you.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 01:45:05 am »
August might still make it.  In your climate September almost certainly won't.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:21:02 am »
I've quit removals for the season here in Kansas City, but like you am still getting several calls a week.

I've found most folks, will wait till spring if you just educate them a little about the benifits of honeybees and you explain to them that the bees will have a hard time making it through the winter if you remove them this late in the season. Much better chance of survival if they postpone their removal till spring.

Make your emphasis all about survival of the colony.

Don