Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: August 20th Cutout in Kentucky - chances of survival???  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Packrat3wires

• House Bee
August 20th Cutout in Kentucky - chances of survival???
« on: August 24, 2014, 01:46:08 am »
Hello again.    I did a cutout with my youngest son this past week.   It was in the ceiling of a living room in a family's house and it was a very strong colony.  The bees had to be removed because they had found a way to get into the house and they had kids.  We were able to get 7 frames of brood, eggs, and some honey comb.    I split the cutout into 2 hive bodies because of the size of the colony.    We were very diligent but never ran across the queen.    What can I do to insure the survival of the hives this late in the season.   I figure if we missed her they will produce another queen in 3 weeks.  I have  added brood builder patties to each of the hives but was considering adding a top feeder with 1 to 1 mix for the next couple of months also.    I really like the genetics of the hive so re-queening isn't an option.   To make matters worse we are being hit with  95 degree heat and heat indexes around 110.   I could really use some advice
"evil prevails when good men fail to act"   Edmund Burke

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
Re: August 20th Cutout in Kentucky - chances of survival???
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 05:20:16 am »
The good news is, their survival will only be binary. either they will survive...or they will not.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:58:44 pm »
sounds like you have done right;

what did you do to run the queen?

did ya try bee quick?

none available try almond extract

Offline Packrat3wires

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 04:21:46 pm »
Hive did well.    I had to let them re-queen but hopefully all is well.     I will know in a couple of months.
"evil prevails when good men fail to act"   Edmund Burke